We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Athens to Florina by bus.

Narrawallee...
9 posts
Save Topic
Athens to Florina by bus.

As a first time traveller to Europe I have a few questions. My wife and I will arrive in Athens on Tuesday April 15, 2014 intending to head north into the Balkan countries and departing from Belgrade 5.5 weeks later. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1. We are planning to catch a bus from Athens to Florina on Thursday 17 April. Can I prebook bus tickets over the internet and where from? Will there be any problems travelling on this day as it is the day before Good Friday?

2. Where is the best location to stay in Athens that is within walking distance to the ancient sites of Athens and easy commuting distance to the Bus Station to head to Florina? (We are travelling on a modest budget!).

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,088 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Athens to Florina by bus.

> Can I prebook bus tickets over the internet and where from? <

No the bus ticket system is still a bit third world here.You have to go to the station to buy the tickets.

>Will there be any problems travelling on this day as it is the day before Good Friday?<

yes the buses will be full since half the population of Athens will be leaving for the villages to celebrate Easter ,book your ticket at least a month before traveling.

So your only option is to go by TRAIN and book the tickets here

https://tickets.trainose.gr/dromologia/

Stay in Plaka,Syntagma and the greater Acropolis area like all tourists do,avoid Omonia,and use the metro to go to Larisis train station where the train departs from.

Edited: 01 January 2014, 08:11
Narrawallee...
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Athens to Florina by bus.

Thankyou Koutras. That makes it much easier to organise. I will definitely now travel by train. My only thought now is would it be better to spend Good Friday in Athens and experience the Easter celebrations before travelling to Florina on the Saturday to enjoy the remainder of Easter in a smaller village.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,088 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Athens to Florina by bus.

Athens will be a ghost town during God Friday w/ half the population gone but it will be nice and quiet,Florina is not exactly a village it is a town with 35.000 people.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,832 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Athens to Florina by bus.

Plaka area in Athens is definitely NOT a ghost area during Easter. Nor Athens will be; saying so is an exaggeration.

Not all Athenians leave the city. In fact this area ( that's around the Acropolis Hill ) will be lively. I 'd strongly suggest spending Good Friday afternoon / evening there.

Edited: 01 January 2014, 10:04
Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,088 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Athens to Florina by bus.

Nick I also agree that Plaka is the best place to be during Easter in Athens as it is more lively than the rest of the city (which IS a "ghost town" during Easter IMHO but that's a good thing..:):) ),and the church celebrations are beautiful.

Edited: 01 January 2014, 10:14
Narrawallee...
9 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Athens to Florina by bus.

Thankyou both for your replies. I am definitely staying in Athens on Good Friday now! I will book the train for the Saturday.

Narrawallee...
9 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Athens to Florina by bus.

Hi Koutras. I have checked the link to book train tickets but am unable to purchase tickets through this site. My web browser translates the Greek into English (which is great!) but I cannot find where to book the tickets. Are you able to give me any directions?

I am now thinking of travelling by train from Athens to Kalambaka on Easter Saturday (19 April) and staying here for a few days before heading to Florina. It sounds like there is plenty to do and see in Athens for at least 3 days! Will there be any possible problems getting train tickets for the Saturday?

Thankyou for any help.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,088 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Athens to Florina by bus.

Click the British flag on the upper left of the page for the English page and follow the "flow" first you select the ride than the seats and than you give your name & visa card nr.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,088 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Athens to Florina by bus.

also click the "For more options " icon to see how you will print your e-ticket

Narrawallee...
9 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Athens to Florina by bus.

Thankyou again Koutras. I have just booked tickets online. I now feel that I am closer to actually starting this adventure.