We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Metro to Athens Airport from Monistiraki Square

Which Athens hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
concord nh
Level Contributor
2,813 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Metro to Athens Airport from Monistiraki Square

I need to get to the airport from Monistiraki Square for a 9 a.m. domestic flight to Crete. How soon should I take the Metro to get to the airport about 1 hour before takeoff? Looked at the Metro Website but couldn't quite figure out the departing times and how often the Metro departs.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
20,679 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Metro to Athens Airport from Monistiraki Square

The metro depart for the airport every half hour, and journey time is appr. 40 mins. To get the exact time you can look up the time table when you are there (I know you are staying next to the station).

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,511 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Metro to Athens Airport from Monistiraki Square

Departing times at the metro site can be found here: http://www.stasy.gr/index.php?id=70&L=1

Airport trains currently pass from Monastiraki at x:04 and x:34, from 05.34am till 11:04pm.

For a 9am flight you should be at the airport at appx. 8am or a bit earlier.

I'd take the 07:04am airport metro that will get you to airport at 07.44am. That's enough time to check in, get a coffee and go to security.

If you want some more air in there to make it even earlier to the airport, then taking the 06.34am metro will get you to the airport at 07.14am. This is perhaps a better option for most people.

These times are quite punctual, maybe delaying 1-2 minutes only as trains get gradually in circulation early in the day, so allow some time to get to the station, get your ticket and go down the platform :)

Edited: 06 January 2014, 19:06
concord nh
Level Contributor
2,813 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Metro to Athens Airport from Monistiraki Square

Greek Traveller & Nick: You guys are great. Always quick to answers questions and usually always right! I was hoping not to get up too early for the Metro so I can stay out later the night before! Do you think the 7:04 am metro will be safe enough to get me to the airport on time to go through security? I will probably check in on-line from the hotel. And Greek Traveller . . . I think you already now my favorite place to stay in Athens at the Attalos by your response on the area I'll be staying. You are very good!

Edited: 06 January 2014, 19:15
Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,511 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Metro to Athens Airport from Monistiraki Square

Under normal circumstances, the 07.04am train gets you there with enough time. Terminal is a 2' - 3' covered walk from the station, so by 07.50am appx. you 'll be entering the terminal.

Security is another 5' from there, so yes, under normal circumstances time is more than enough. Even if you have to deliver luggage, you 'll be in front of security at 08.10am when the latest for a 9am flight is i guess around 08.20am .

Nevertheless, if you want to play it safe, then the earlier train is a better option. It will give some breathing air in there :-) or time for a loo stop :) I think it's better to take the earlier train.

Are these trains punctual? Yes. Do they ever break down? I dont' think they have ever :) But adding 30' in there is a good thing.

**Take the 06.34am**, even if i think the 07.04am is enough for someone travelling light etc. Take the 06.34am one to be in the safe and less stressed side :-)

Edited: 06 January 2014, 19:23
concord nh
Level Contributor
2,813 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Metro to Athens Airport from Monistiraki Square

OK Nick: I guess I'll have to get to bed earlier and not drink too much the night before! Better yet, since I haven't officially booked the flight yet maybe I can get a later flight to Crete by a couple hours. It's only a 50 minute flight so I can still get to Chania by mid-afternoon. I would hate to end my night in Athens earlier than I would like.

Edited: 06 January 2014, 20:28
Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,511 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Metro to Athens Airport from Monistiraki Square

Yes, Athenian nights are sweet indeed :-)

concord nh
Level Contributor
2,813 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Metro to Athens Airport from Monistiraki Square

The reason why I was interested in the earlier in the morning flight & metro was to get to Chania by late morning, but there is another flight that leaves at 1:30 p.m. so I will get to Chania by 2:20 p.m. and not lose time on the first day in Chania. I think that may be the best option. I would like to stay out a little later in Athens be able to have a little more food and Greek wine and not worry about getting up too early.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
20,679 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Metro to Athens Airport from Monistiraki Square

Agree !

:-)

9. Re: Metro to Athens Airport from Monistiraki Square

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 January 2015, 05:18