We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arriving in Athens at 2am

Level Contributor
9 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Arriving in Athens at 2am

Hi,

I planning a trip to Greece in April and I was wondering whether to book a flight which arrives in Athens at 2am - it's a bargain, but I'm worried how to get from the airport to a hotel in the city centre (I was thinking about booking in Apollo hotel or Marina hotel or Achillion hotel). I've read on one of the pages here that a taxi costs around 50€, which is still less than an upgrade to a ticket with a 'normal' arrival time, but would the price be the same on Easter Monday? Also, google maps shows a bus x95 or x93 + a walk to the hotel but would it be safe to walk at that time?

I would be grateful for your respones.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,950 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arriving in Athens at 2am

Hey Hanna and welcome in Greece forums :-)

You 'll definitely need a taxi at that time of the night for these three hotels. They are too far from the point the bus ( that's X95, not X93 ) leaves you.

The 50 euros price is fixed and DOES apply for Easter Monday too.

May i ask something please? I understand you are searching for a budget accomofdation, still these three hotel's locations are not that good. Apollo's is so and so, Marina's is not that good, i 'd not consider it safe at night, Achillion not that good too.

How may days and what price range are you looking for? I would strongly suggest changing hotels and area and targetting finding a hotel around Plaka or Syndagma, even if this means a bit more for the accomodation. All three hotels you have chosen may have low prices, but you 'll end up paying the 50 euros taxi fare to get there + 4 - 5 euros per day on metro tickets to get there.

What price range are you looking for? Consider going around Syndagma which will mean you 'll walk to your hotel. Area is definitely better,safer, closer t the sites, close to X95 bus stop and more attractive.

So: the problem is not the flight\s arrival time but the initial hotel choices and area.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arriving in Athens at 2am

sir,

our ship from santorini thru blue star ferry will reach at around midnight (11 :30 pm) at Piraeus, and our flight to Istanbul leaves at 7 am. We wish to reach airport in the night only as looking for accommodation for 3 hrs doesn't sounds smart.

Kindly suggest if its feasible to get bus to airport at that time from Piraeus. and please give ur valuable tips.

Dr. Manoj Dubey (India)

concord nh
Level Contributor
3,741 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arriving in Athens at 2am

Another consideration is what is allowed for check-in time. Many hotels' check-in time is usually late morning-early afternoon. Unless you make special arrangements (extra cost) you may not be allowed to get into your room, and you'll end up wandering around in very early morning when it may not be safe. One hotel I highly recommend near Monistiraki Sq. and the Plaka Area is the Attalos Hotel on Athinas St., one of the very best of the budget hotels in all of Athens.

Belgium
Level Contributor
408 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arriving in Athens at 2am

Another vote for a change of hotel. If I were you I'd definitely stay near Syndagma, great connection to the airport and very central. I've stayed in both the Arethusa and the Amazon, very near to Syndagma and I had good rates for these hotels in comparison to the quality of the accommodation. Both clean and basic, but personally I don't need more. Staying this near to Syndagma makes sure you have easy and cheap connection to the airport any time of day and night, safe and lively area, and it's convenient for sightseeing during your stay as well. Enjoy Greece!

Mr Dubey, The bus from Pireaus to the airport runs at night. Timetable below.

athensairportbus.com/en/X96-bus_from_piraeus…

It's a pitty there is no room for a bit of rest in your schedule. I fear you're heading towards a very tiring night.

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
905 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Arriving in Athens at 2am

X96 bus runs from Pireaus every half hour throughout the night, it takes about 1 hr.

bridgnorth
Level Contributor
3,450 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Arriving in Athens at 2am

I believe the X96 leaves from a different bus stop at night, no great distance. You'll have plenty of time for a coffee when you leave the ferry , so ask the waiter for the location; sorry I can't remember.

Level Contributor
9 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Arriving in Athens at 2am

Thank you very much for your advice! I bought the tickets and I will follow your suggestions regarding the hotel choices. And I will probably be soon back here with more questions!

8. Re: Arriving in Athens at 2am

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 January 2015, 05:17