We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 hours in Athens

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,492 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
4 hours in Athens

I love relaxing in the airport...shopping...drinking...eating...watching people.

My wife - no way.

In May we will arrive Athens around 13:00 via Aegean from Santorini and our flight to London (via BA) doesn't leave until 19:30

What are your thoughts on hiring a car service for the afternoon (3-4 hours) to take us somewhere for lunch, to the Acropolis, a few sights, then back to the airport?

This will be our fourth trip to Athens so this short tour is just an escape from the airport. Of course I worry about weather, traffic, delays, etc. Of the four hours I imagine 2 will just be sitting in the car.

Looking forward to your thoughts. Would you try it? Ideas for lunch? Thanks.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,832 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 hours in Athens

With a 4.30 hours time frame between the two flights you basically a ittle less than 3 hours to spend, since you need appx. 45 minutes to finish with all the airport procedures and check in to next flight and to be back at the airport appx. 1 hur before next flight.

So, basically the 4.30' hours boil down to 2.45'.

This time is definitely not enough to go to the center' i 'd personally stay out of the center to avoid, indeed, sitting in the car for 2 hours :-)

Now, what to do in this frame? I d personally stay in the airport area, maybe, head out to Ikea and the outlet there, sincerely it's not tha you have a lot of time to spend. Ikea is a 10' drive, it's in airport limits, you can certainly spend some time there.

Another option a bit further is Rafina seaport. You can go there on a taxi, spend some time, have lunch, do some people watching and then go back to the airport.

If you want to get the adventurous direciton :-) you can contact a local tourism bysiness, i 'd pick this one cause they get rave reviews here + they can customise their itinerary: http://www.athens-walks.com/ . What i 'd think of would be to ask them about a driver and a taxi waiting for me, then maybe going to Southern Attica where Sounion Temple is and have a lunch at that direction. On that time frame i would not attempt this on public transportation; i 'd pick instead a reliable tourism business to do it for me and get me back in time :-)

So, you have Ikea in airport limits, Rafina, or Sounion Temple. All are, roughly speaking on the Eastern side of the peninsula, not in the center.

Edited: 15 January 2014, 12:45
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,492 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 hours in Athens

Very helpful! Thank you Nick for reply. I will investigate.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 hours in Athens

Hey and welcome KatMan1112:-) With a 1p arrival and a 7:30p departure, appears you have a total of 6.5 hours.. allotting time for formalities, 4 hours sounds about right to me;-) I'd send an email off to www.athens-walks.com/ They get rave reviews here and work with you.. to your specifics.. planning around your situation.. so they may very well offer something according to your prefs/interests.. possibly a Museum? If you haven't been to the New Akropolis Museum would certainly consider it! Cape Sounion sounds like a fantastic option;-)

I, too, enjoy hanging out around airports, but do agree that 6.5 hours may be pushing it a bit;-)) Happy planning.. and enjoy!

Edited: 15 January 2014, 16:25
4. Re: 4 hours in Athens

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 January 2015, 05:18