We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much does it cost to travel Europe for 2 months???

Which Athens hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
11 posts
Save Topic
How much does it cost to travel Europe for 2 months???

Hi there,

I know this is quite the broad question, but my partner and I are looking to travel around Europe at the start of August for about 2 months.

We have been doing a lot of research and are finding several different answers as to how much it will cost us to travel.

We are wanting to know how much money to save etc.

We did a rough outline of our desired trip which is below;

-Fly from Melbourne, Australia to

-London

-Paris

-Brussel

-Amsterdam

-Hamburg

-Berlin

-Prague

-Krakow

-Vienna

-Munich

-Zurich

-Milan

-Venice

-Florence

-Rome

-Naples

-Bari

-Athens

-Greek Isalnds

-Athens

-Then back to Australia.

I understand that is a lot of places to see and if need be we are willing to cut a few places out.

Basically, we are just wanting to know the cost of meals per day, transport costs roughly per day, and accommodation.

We are happy to spend time at hostels if need be as well.

Originally we were thinking of doing the 45 day Ultimate European Experience plus Greek Islands Tour with Contiki which puts us back about $10,000 including our flights - and we have since been told by some people that is a really expensive way of doing it and that it is a rip off.

Anyway, any help would be much appreciated, whether it be that you know roughly how much it may cost us each to eat etc. It all helps us work it out.

Thank you!

Hannah

37 replies to this topic
Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,088 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How much does it cost to travel Europe for 2 months???

There are TREMENDOUS differences between the prices in the cities you are mentioning (i,e a metro tickets costs 6 euros in London and 1.4 in Athens)

I'd say that 30-40 euros pp will cover meals (if you don''t go posh) and another 20 euros pp will cover the rest (transportation, drinks,museums etc)...lodging depends on your budget and the sky is the limit in Athens you will not find anythinh decent under 70 euros/night

Delphi,Greece
Destination Expert
for Delphi
Level Contributor
6,043 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much does it cost to travel Europe for 2 months???

Costs vary greatly even within same country or depending on season etc

Check http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/ for some estimates...

A very very generic pointer is that 60 euro/day/person will cover a bed in a hostel dorm, self catering meals, very limited site admissions or a couple of beers every few days and only limited moving around. You can make this 70 euro for expensive Western Europe destinations or 50 euro for Eastern Europe. of course this is a very bare minimum.

Transit among countries/distant places are not included on said amount.

Washington
Level Contributor
56 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much does it cost to travel Europe for 2 months???

My brother is leaving in a few weeks to travel Europe for two months. He's going with a friend who has already done this trip once and spent about $5000 US (including airfare) the last time around. Your destinations almost mirror his minus Greece and Milan. He's staying in hostels which were booked from $7-$25 per night depending on the city he's staying in. Your costs will vary hugely in the cities you will be visiting. You may have better luck checking forums for each destination for more specific information on each city.

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
25 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much does it cost to travel Europe for 2 months???

Hi,

it does very much depend on the accommodation standards etc.

As for Cracow, it is perfectly possible to find really decent rooms right by the market square, with breakfast, for ~200PLN = ~48 €

there are many students in Cracow's centre, so there are many places where students eat, so it's feasible to pay 1€ for a soup - or 10€ in fancy restaurants of course :)

depending on how you want to get to Cracow, you won't have to worry too much about public transport cost - the center (what the locals don't like to call "Old Town" :) as the railway station is in easy walking distance, even with suitcases, from the market square area, and this area is quite compact (even if you want to include the old Jewish quarter of Kazimierz). If you want to visit the model communist suburb of Nowa Huta, the bus ticket would be ~5PLN I suppose.

if you're flying, it's more tricky to get to town, but I'm not sure there are direct flights from Prague to Cracow or from Cracow to Vienna, so maybe trains should be a safer bet.there are direct trains (8-9h) from Prague and to Vienna. Some of them also go at night, if you want to save the days for sightseeing.

With more days to spare, and depending on your interests, a day trip from Kraków could combine (and actually there are some packaged tours just like that) the Wieliczka salt mine and Auschwitz.

in Florence and Rome I would suggest ca.90€ per night for accommodation (hotel/B&B room for 2 in central areas). Dinner with wine for two, one course + starter or desert would be probably somewhere around 20-30€ pp

London and Paris, and Zurich, are likely to be more expensive when it comes to hotels.

good luck!

Edited: 21 January 2014, 22:12
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How much does it cost to travel Europe for 2 months???

Hello

My husband and I just returned home after 77 days in Europe.

It cost us $25,000.

We don't pay for luxury, we pay for position..

We stay middle of the road , usually in apartments and travel by train , boat, bus and plane.

We travelled from Brisbane to French Alps, Venice, Switzerland, Paris, Brugge, Amsterdam, Berlin. Prague, Zagreb, Split, Hvar, Dubrovnik, Athens, Santorini, Mykonos, Lesvos, Gallipolli, Istanbul and Cappadoccia.

We certainly aren't extravagant but we didn't do without.

Hope you have a great time

Sandra

6. Re: How much does it cost to travel Europe for 2 months???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11 July 2014, 08:35

london
Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How much does it cost to travel Europe for 2 months???

Hi Hannah

The cheapest way to experience Europe is staying in Hostels where you can meet other travellers from all over the world, cook your own meals, use the laundry, get discounts for tours/museums etc etc

Check www.famoushostels.com they usually have the best deals.

-London price p bed in hostel €27

-Paris price p bed in hostel €33

-Brussels price p bed in hostel €28

-Amsterdam price p bed in hostel €35

-Hamburg price p bed in hostel €28

-Berlin price p bed in hostel €20

-Prague price p bed in hostel € 17

-Krakow price p bed in hostel € 15

-Vienna price p bed in hostel € 25

-Munich price p bed in hostel €30

-Zurich price p bed in hostel €28

-Milan price p bed in hostel €22

-Venice price p bed in hostel €27

-Florence price p bed in hostel €25

-Rome price p bed in hostel €28

-Naples price p bed in hostel € 20

-Bari price p bed in hostel €20

-Athens price p bed in hostel €25

-Greek Islands price p bed in hostel €20

Have fun

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
237 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How much does it cost to travel Europe for 2 months???

Wowser youve got one hell of a trip coming up!

Look you can spend almost anything, the advice here is awesome.

Your itinerary will be very full. 20 destinations in 60 days is three days in each place (on average) and keep in mind that there is a half day at least travel between these places.

The budget information given is good, the only thing i can add is that a friend of mine spent ten months in asia, eastern and western europe and only spent $15,000 AUD - including her flights to and from.

(as a matter of clarity - only about a month in asia)

Edited: 24 May 2014, 04:38
Porto Alegre, RS
Level Contributor
97 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How much does it cost to travel Europe for 2 months???

Last year we (30 yro lady and 41 yro man) did a 30 day vacation that included: 2 days in Amsterdam, 2 days in Berlin, 3 days in Prague, 4 days in Budapest, 4 days in Athens, 3 days in Rome, 4 days in Paris and 7 days in London.

We booked apartments in every city and didn't went crazy with fancy meals (we spent some in beer tho.. lol). Also, we did not use taxis (only public transport) and indulged ourselves with some nice shopping..

We visited all main attractions in all the cities.

The total cost (for the couple) was like 12.000 Euros for the 30 days (including flights to and from Brazil, train tickets, flights inside Europe, transport inside the cities, entrance fees, food and shopping)... At the end, we've realized that the expensive part was the apartments as we spent something like 3.000 only on accommodation!

My sister did almost the same itinerary using 4.000 Euros... Her "secret" was to use only hostels..

So I guess the main tip is to find a budget place to stay if you don't mind sharing and that will make the cost of your trip go really down!

Have a great time there!

:)

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
3,082 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How much does it cost to travel Europe for 2 months???

sometimes apartments are cheaper than hostels, www.airbnb.com is one site you should look at, http://www.123berlinzimmer.de/home/lang/en for apartments in berlin,London is really expensive from all cities

Reply to: How much does it cost to travel Europe for 2 months???
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted