We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to travel from airport to city center

Which Athens hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Winchester, Virginia
Level Contributor
11 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Best way to travel from airport to city center

My fiance and I will be staying in Athens mid-June for two nights before going to Crete and then again at the end of our trip for one nigh before we fly out.

For the two nights at the beginning of our trip, I was thinking about staying in Syntagma because of the close proximity to all the attractions plus the metro and airport bus service.

However at the end of our trip, our flight from Crete gets into the airport at 6:15pm and we fly out the next day at 1:30pm. Is it even worth it coming into Athens just for the evening? I figure since we are there we should take advantage of the time we have in a city we might not be back to for quite some time.

What is the best way to travel from the airport to Syntagma? I was thinking about the bus because it's cheap, however, how easy is it to use? Do you have to buy tickets ahead of time?

What about the metro? Is the path to Syntagma clearly marked? Is it easy to buy tickets?

I would prefer either of those two routes because they are cheap, however I want to make sure we spend as much time as we can while in Athens before we fly home.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
410 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to travel from airport to city center

I was thinking about the bus because it's cheap, however, how easy is it to use? Do you have to buy tickets ahead of time?

The bus is the cheapest way (5 euro per person), you can buy the ticket from the bus driver. Trip takes around 1 hour depends on traffic, there is a bus almost every 20 minutes during day time

What about the metro? Is the path to Syntagma clearly marked? Is it easy to buy tickets?

the entrance of the metro, located at the east side of the square, you can buy tickets from the ticket office inside the station (8 euro per person or 14 euro for 2 persons). Trip takes 45 minutes, there is one train every 30 minutes.

Edited: 21 January 2014, 06:50
Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,288 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to travel from airport to city center

Both are very easy and convenient. For the bus you either buy the ticket from the booth right next to the bus stop or from the driver. For the metro you buy and validate (punch it in the orange validating machines) from the tickets vending machines before you descend onto the platforms.

For both the trip is a straight line from Airport to Syntagma, no need to change anywhere or anything.

Couldnt be easier.

You should definitely get to central Athens for that last night. You have plenty of time!

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,514 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to travel from airport to city center

Indeed, i agree. Arriving at 6.15pm you 'll be in the center at around 8pm maybe? That's more than enough time for a nice stroll and a dinner in a great place with Acropolis views for the finale. It doesen't have to be an uber expensive place, some places like Attikos Greek House come up to 25 euros per person; or a walk in Acropolis area enjoying the views walking and then a dinner in any taverna.

Next morning you can even do some last minute shopping or even check a site early in the morning if something is not checked in your 'to do" list.

Athens stays awake till very late in summers, that can be easily 1am' and kickstarts very early. You can certainly use this layover as a chance to do and see more.

Edited: 21 January 2014, 07:34
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to travel from airport to city center

Hey and welcome mdpitt:-) Is your itinerary set in stone?;-) Have you already purchased your flights to Crete?;-) Reason being, if not.. would look to book and head straight out to Crete upon arrival in Athens from the States.. save Athens for your finale for a consecutive 3 night stay avoiding any backtracking:-) Keeping the itinerary running consecutively is also a major time-saver;-) FWIW, many coming off the long hauls are pretty lagged.. rubber-legged and buzz-headed.. and for many, not a good call to hit the ground running in a busy, hectic metropolis such as Athens on the onset;-) An isle is a great place to de-lag and get into zone!

Whether you can make any changes or not.. agree to spend your time available in Athens.. even for that last night before your flight home.. would make for a great finale;-) The dedicated Express Bus X95 is usually my call coming off the trans.. after being couped up for approx. 10 hours, I see it more as a mini-sightseeing run en route into the City.. only 5E and takes about 40 min or so.. give or take depending on traffic! You'll find the buses right outside arrivals.. in front of the cab line.. unmissable;-) Get your tickets from the booth there and make sure to validate in those orange boxes you'll see inside.. plenty of room for luggage as well in the center of the bus;-) The metro runs the 14E for the 2 of you and will have you at Syntagma Square in about 40 min as well;-) Staying in/close to Syntagma is ideal.. central and close to sites as well as public transport practically at your doorstep;-) Happy planning.. Happy New Year.. and EnJOY!

Edited: 21 January 2014, 18:13
5. Re: Best way to travel from airport to city center

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 January 2015, 06:18