We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Athens and the islands with my 80 year old mum

Toowoomba, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting Athens and the islands with my 80 year old mum

Hi everyone, I am after any suggestions regarding bringing my mum to Greece for a holiday. She is keen to have a look around Athens and to spend some time on the islands. We have around 14 days and then we are hoping to head to Istanbul for a few days. Thanks!

Sunshine Coast
Level Contributor
1,765 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Athens and the islands with my 80 year old mum

We met a 102 yrs English lady travelling in Turkey and enjoying it. I am 70 and will be back in April. What's the problem? Everything you can do at home you can do there. Check the weather - it can get very hot some months. May and Sept. are best . Travel insurance must be in place just in case. Fly Emirates and stop a night in Dubai each way around $90 dbl.- this helps a lot.

Toowoomba, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Athens and the islands with my 80 year old mum

Thanks for your comments. My mum is super active and I am just after info re anything special that we might do out of the ordinary that she might find appealing. Your suggestion re Emirates is great as that was what I am looking at doing. I was also thinking of flying home from Istanbul with a stopover in Singapore to break the flight up a bit. We were looking at going in late August for around three weeks. I appreciate your comment re travel insurance; its always important. Any other thoughts that you might have re interesting experiences would be great!

Delphi,Greece
Destination Expert
for Delphi
Level Contributor
6,082 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Athens and the islands with my 80 year old mum

Welcome Karen! What a nice idea, I am sure both you and your mum will love Greece!

I am sure you'll get lots of ideas from this forum, but we need some more specifics to provide suitable advice...

Does your mother have any special interest (gardening, knitting, hiking, whatever)? Does she have a specific desire for this trip (always wanting to see the Parthenon, or to snorkel with seals or buy a Byzantine icon...)? If so, this is somewhere to start from...

Do you have any generic ideas? How you envision this holiday? Using a couple of bases and enjoy or trying to fit 3-4 different spots? What type of stay are you after? Upclass hotel with facilities such as swimming pools and room service or a spartan room to let would be fine? Is car hire an option?

Athens+Islands...But, What about mainland?

Except Istanbul, do you plan to visit other parts of Turkey? How many days you allow for this?

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
4,792 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Athens and the islands with my 80 year old mum

hi and welcome..

here are things you can do-see in athens..

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g189400-i194-k47…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g189400-i194-k5999…

a hidden gem is anafiotika,a neighborhood near plaka,under the akropolis,with island-like ouses made by the citizents of anafi island when they moved to athens

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ5TLMTu3kA

then you can head to an island of the dodecanese island chain,which is close to turkey and connected with ferries..kos and rhodes are two that come to mind,they both have a main town (rhodes main town has one of the best preserved medieval castles of the world)..

rhodes medieval castle..

http://tinyurl.com/q76xkqn

Newcastle, England...
Level Contributor
6 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Athens and the islands with my 80 year old mum

My first suggestion is to avoid the hotter (and busier months) I am in my 70's and the heat is my only problem. Athens is a beautiful city and a great start for a Greek holiday. From there you can easily get a taxi or the metro down to Piraeus and catch a boat to your chosen islands. Depending on how far you want to go, you can choose the nearer Saronic (just a few minutes to Aegina) or if you are feeling more adventurous, Naxos is a five hour boat trip. From there though, you can hop on the Skopelitis and get to any of the beautiful and tranquil small islands. Greece is a wonderful country so wherever you get to you will enjoy it.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,088 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting Athens and the islands with my 80 year old mum

Don't worry,my father is 90 and we can't keep him inside the house for more than a few hours....:):) he is always out walking around and of course he hits the islands when summer comes..:):)

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
4,792 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting Athens and the islands with my 80 year old mum

the advice to avoid the heat is the best for an 80 year old,until may-early june the weather is sunny and nice,after that it starts getting hotter

Edited: 25 January 2014, 09:47
Delphi,Greece
Destination Expert
for Delphi
Level Contributor
6,082 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting Athens and the islands with my 80 year old mum

I guess someone from Australia knows how to deal with the heat???

Sunshine Coast
Level Contributor
1,765 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Visiting Athens and the islands with my 80 year old mum

Yes Karen we did the Istanbul-Singapore-Brisbane trip last year and it was helpful with the jetlag, though Singapore is generally very sweaty. In Istanbul I suggest the Hali hotel with rooftop breakfast right among the blue mosque - hagia sofia -golden horn views.

Level Contributor
181 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Visiting Athens and the islands with my 80 year old mum

I have gone to limited places in Greece but here is what I would do with 14 nights. Two nights in Athens (i always stay at the Athens Gates Hotel. My memory is that there is a tub you need to climb over to get in the shower which might be difficult for your Mom. Most of the hotels I have stayed in Greece do have walkin showers). Fly to Santorini. Spend 3 nights in Oia town in a hotel overlooking the caldera- some of these have a lot of uneven steps - another thing to check when you book. I have stayed in the Strogli House Apartments and been very happy here. Ferry to Crete. Spend 1 night in Heraklion to see the palace of Knossos. Transfer to Chania town by bus, taxi, or rental car. The Porto Veneziano Hotel is wonderful and will be comfortable for your Mom. you may want to spend a week here and explore the surrounding area by car or tours. I would spend two nights here and then five nights in Paleochora. I stay at the villas Europa (not their older sister properties). Some of the hotels I have mentioned are popular so booking right away is important. You can transfer back to Chania and fly back to Athens from the Chania airport. Spend a final night in Athens and then fly to Istanbul. I hope that you and your mother have a wonderful trip.