We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do in Athens with about six hours to kill before fli

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
6 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
What to do in Athens with about six hours to kill before fli

In October we will arrive Piraeus on a cruise and transferred to airport, problem is our flight doesnt depart till 8pm. We have already been to Athens on a cruise and have done a tour. Is it too far to go from airport to Plaka and what is the best way to get there and back??? Any suggestions on restaurants there and what we could see within walking distance there?

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,777 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do in Athens with about six hours to kill before fli

Roughly speaking, seaport is one side of the peninsula, airport other side and center is in the middle.

Going to the airport and then back to the city and then again back to the airport will mean losing time. You can definitely do it ( subway will be the most reliable way, lock your things in the airport, get the metro in to Monastiraki Sq., return ticket will be 14 euros per person, trip is 42 minutes and metro leaves the airport every 30 minutes ), still best option would be to arrange a combined transfer + stay in the center, meaning a taxi driver that 'll get you from seaport, carry all the luggage in the trunk, get you to the center or somewhere else great, then get you to the airport on time for your flight.

I 'd contact this company: http://www.athens-walks.com/ . It is a reliable company, gets rave reviews here, they offer transfers and customised tours. They may be able to organise a great day either in the center or anywhere in the peninsula. Adding 28 euros for two return tickets from / to the airport and the luggage locker cost, it may not work tremendously more expensive, while convenience will be what 'll matter.

Hiring a taxi driver through a company will be a great idea and you 'll manage to do a whole lot more instead of getting back and forth from the airport. It seems to me you have a great time frame in your hands.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do in Athens with about six hours to kill before fli

Hey and welcome Hortensia_dreamtrave:-) How much luggage will you have?! Manageable to take into the City and store in lockers.. or at a storage facility?! If so, you can take the metro Green Line .. takes about 20-25 min to Monasteraki Station and store in lockers there.. or just hop in a cab for about 20E max and head to Syntagma Square and store at Pacific Limited's office there.. spend the afternoon walking around Plaka area.. possibly taking the funicular (teleferik) up to Lycabettus Hill grabbing a bite up there.. before heading back to the airport?;-) From Syntagma, you've got 3 choices for transport back to the airport.. either the dedicated express bus X95 for 5E each.. the Blue Line metro for 8E each or 14E for 2 pax.. or a cab for a flat rate of 35E;-) Depending on where you're flying to.. domestic/int'l, chances are you'd need to be at airport a couple of hours ahead.. say by around 6p?! If so, give yourselves about 45 min with whichever option you choose .. the bus is traffic dependent so can go either way.. the metro will be a flat 40 min or so.. and the cab depending on the driver can get you there within half an hour;-))

If you opt to head to the airport first upon disembarking the cruise.. you've got the dedicated Express bus X96 there than does the run.. takes about an hour.. give or take and of course, traffic dependent.. or a cab that can run about 50E thereabouts.. you can certainly store luggage there as well.. Pacific Limited is located downstairs in arrivals hall at the tail end of the terminal.. to your right as you enter.. and head back out to the City via either bus, metro or cab;-) You can check storage.. transport options, etc., at the airport's official site at www.aia.gr/ Have a wonderful adventure.. and EnJOY!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do in Athens with about six hours to kill before fli

.. no time to edit;-) Nick's idea of contacting Athens Walks is a wonderful one;-)) Would give it a shot and send them an email and see what they can offer.. way to go;-) Keep enjoyin' all!

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
6 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do in Athens with about six hours to kill before fli

Thanks, what great replies, you gave me all the info I needed. No I wont have much luggage probably a medium and a carry-on for both of us, but I thought of paying for the transfers to take us from Piraeus to airport then to Plaka, but as Nick says I would loose time, so I see that we can hop on cab for about 20E from Piraeus to Syntagma Square, store my bags in Pacific, which I think is the same company offering storage at airport, correct? I can do what you suggested walk around and maybe take the teleferik and return with my luggage on the X95 to airport around 4pm, if you think we can hop on it with our luggage. Does this sound ok? Our flight to Madrid departs at 8:50pm. Have you used Aegean Airlines?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do in Athens with about six hours to kill before fli

Our pleasure.. sounds like plan:-) And yes, it is the same Pacific Limited as in airport.. check the link on the airport's site.. should give contact info for the one on Syntagma Square.. if not, you can inquire at the email given for the airport and ask for specifics;-)

The dedicated airport bus has a 'dedicated' space for luggage.. in the middle of the bus.. plenty of room;-) As far as Aegean.. yes, I've flown them.. they are wonderful;-)) For an 8:50p flight, you should be on a bus by around 5:45-6p latest.. a couple of hours is a good time spread to get it all done which pretty much is just check-in;-) If you're looking wander around DF, you can always get their earlier;-)) The airport is also wonderful.. all under 1 roof or terminal building.. modern and super user-friendly.. you'll soon see;-) Keep us posted.. keep enjoyin'!

6. Re: What to do in Athens with about six hours to kill before fli

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 January 2015, 06:19