We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel location

Western Australia
Level Contributor
152 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel location

I'm so sorry to be asking a hotel question but I've done lots of research and having made a decision I'm now, not so sure it's suitable.

We will be in Athens three full days and after a trip to Meteora have another full day before we fly out.

We're 70 yrs old but fit. I visited Greece in the 60's stayed in the YWCA-husband has never been. Shopping isn't on the agenda, but it's nice to walk out of the hotel into interesting little shops/areas.

I've made a booking at the Philoppos hotel which will be handy when visiting the Acropolis but is it close to restaurants etc?

The Amalia would be good for the last day as we could catch the bus to airport.

Budget wise we don't want to pay more than E120 a day max.

Don't want to catch the metro -would rather walk.

I'm so sorry to burden you with all this information but find maps of Athens hard to follow.

Thanks in anticipation

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,948 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel location

You haven't made a mistake. The Philippos is conveniently placed for the Acropolis entrance and the Acropolis Museum, and is in an area well served with restaurants. You'll be able to walk everywhere: the main sights of Athens are all fairly close together, in a pedestrianised district. But if you do ever want the metro, the Philippos is very close to the Acropolis station.

The Amalia IS better placed for getting the metro or the X95 bus to the airport, but it wouldn't be difficult from the Philippos: one stop on the metro from Acropolis to Syntagma, or a taxi for a few euros. And if you liked the Philippos, and wanted to return there, you would probably be able to leave your main luggage there while you visited Meteora.

Western Australia
Level Contributor
152 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel location

Thanks alabastron for taking the time to answer. I've spent the night reading more old posts on thorn tree and Fodors and think perhaps when we get off the cruise ship we could head straight to Meteora. On second thoughts the train probably leaves too early and there's no way we are driving a car. thanks again.

3. Re: Hotel location

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 February 2015, 05:18