We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Greece for the FIRST time.

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
48 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Greece for the FIRST time.

Hi everyone, I need tips and suggestions about my first time to Greece with my girlfriend. This is my first time out of the United States as well. Thinking about doing Greece in June. Dates are most likely going to be June 2 - June 13. Flying from Sacramento, CA. Budget of $7000 US dollars and that's including the flight money for two people. Flight will be around $3200 so I have $3800 left for everything else. Hoping to spend around $100 US dollars per night on hotels. Trying to budget. Want to do an island as well while in Greece. Was thinking about Santorini and flying there when we first get to Athens as I heard it was better to do the islands first than come back to Athens and do everything else. I looked at Aegean airlines and it will be approximately around 350 US dollars for round trip for two people from Athens to Santorini. We want to spend 3-4 nights in Santorini. Will that be enough? After we get back to Athens from Santorini we will most likely stay another 5-6 nights in Athens to explore everything else. We want to stay near the Acropolis and everything else. Is it wise to rent a car? or should we just take the bus or metro? I'm thinking after flights and hotel costs, we will have about $2000 US dollars left for food and everything else. How much on average will we spend on food? Breakfast, lunch, and dinner? Doesn't have to be fancy food or anything. Also fees to get into attractions such as museums and what not? Any feedback/info would be great. Thanks again everyone.

Delphi,Greece
Destination Expert
for Delphi
Level Contributor
6,120 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Greece for the FIRST time.

I am bored to do the maths. Can you post again in Euros?

http://www.xe.com/currencyconverter/

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,952 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Greece for the FIRST time.

It would also help if you broke your questions up into individual paragraphs with spaces between them. I tried to read through your post, but gave up half way through.

Edited: 18 February 2014, 10:35
Reading, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Greece for the FIRST time.

As I think the budget would be enough for tow days trip and 3-4 nights in Santorini also much time to explore it.

Thanks

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Messenia Region, Laconia Region, Magnesia Region
Level Contributor
5,248 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Greece for the FIRST time.

Hi there, yes your post is a bit difficult to plough through! Re. budget for hotels, it depends what type of hotel/room you are looking for. You can get a good, basic ensuite room in most parts of Greece for 25 to 35 euros per night (probably not in Santorini which is massively overpriced). However of course if you're looking for 4 or 5 star hotels then the price will be higher.

Food prices - we usually eat in traditional local tavernas and spend between 25 to 30 euros for 2 main courses, one or two side dishes and a half carafe of local wine. You often get a free dessert. Once again, if eating in fancy high-end restaurants you will pay a lot more.

Re. driving in Athens, no no no! Everything is walking distance.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
4,902 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Greece for the FIRST time.

hi and welcome..

whether 3-4 days in santorini are enough it depends on what you are looking for,santorini is a beautiful island,athens is a vast,hectic metropolis..are you sure you don't want to add a couple of days more from athens to santorini?anyway,that's up to you..

for areas to stay in athens look at plaka,akropolis ,monastiraki..all central..avoid omonoia..driving is not an option for a tourist in athens,use the excellent metro system to get around,all the sites are in a compact area in the center,well connected between them via metro..

choosing to fly directly to santorini is a great decision,do it,aegean is a very good company and the price is good..

things to do in athens here..

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g189400-i194-k47…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g189400-i194-k5999…

things to do in santorini here..

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g189433-s1/Santorin…

i highly recommend the open air cinemas,there is one in santorini

http://www.cinekamari.gr/

and many in athens..

for accomodation you can look at http://www.booking.com/ , using the budget filter and see what you get..once you find hotels that interest you within your budget you can check their reviews by googling them here,on TA...regardimg athens,A for Athens and attalos (as a budget hotel) are often highly praised here ,so check them out..for santorini there are 4 villages that offer the great views you may have seen in the pictures..oia,fira ,firostefani and imerovigli..here is a description of them

1 - Fira. This is the islands main town and the hub of pretty much everything. it will be extremely busy pretty much all of the time, not only with everyone else staying there, but also day visitors from other parts of the island and the hordes of cruise ship visitors who are tendered ashore here.

2 - Firostefani. This is a small village a shortish walk away from Fira, but a hell of a lot quieter. Many people who'd like to be close enough to "enjoy" Fira but who don't want to be in the centre of the madness choose to stay here.

3 - Imerovigli - This is the quietest of the caldera side villages with limited shops, restaurants etc. However, due to its higher eleveation, you get some of the best views that Santorini has to offer, including the sunsets.

4 - Oia. This is the most beautiful of the villages and where many of the photos of Santorini that you see on postcards and in books and brochues are taken. There are any hotels, bars and restaurants to suit all pockets, from the affordable by everyone to the likes of places you'd need to be a millionaire to stay at. Nightlife is fairly quiet, small bars etc, no clubs or discos.

fira and oia are full during the day with the cruise ship passengers,so maybe opt for firostefani or imerovigli..

once you decide on the village,start a new thread on santorini's forum stating the village,your daily budget for a room IN EUROS and your preferances for the room..the experts will give you the best advice to get your money's worth..otherwise you can always use bookng.com

your budget seems enough for me,of course it depends on how much you spend but with such a budget i wouldn't worry too much..

have fun palnning,hope this helped a bit

Edited: 18 February 2014, 15:24
Sacramento...
Level Contributor
48 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Greece for the FIRST time.

Sorry guys. Its 5089 euros. That's my budget for everything. I shouldve broken my post into paragraphs. Sorry again. Thanks for all the advice and tips so far.

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
461 posts
252 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Greece for the FIRST time.

Our trip (booked for March/April) is for 2 persons -- round trip air fare (SMF to Athens) plus 8 nights at Athens Gate Hotel

We paid $3,177.00 thru Hotwire.

I'm an archeology nut (my undergrad major was Cultural Anthropology) and will be able to find enough activities around Athens to fill the week.

Weather permitting, we want to spend one day on Hydra by way of Flying Dolphin out of Pireaus harbor.

Time permitting -- we will see Cape Of Sounion and the Temple of Poseidon.

Best of all, our hotel has an AYCE Breakfast Buffet -- allowing us to stay full most of the day, and then we go out for a late lunch (around 2:30 pm) and we skip dinner entirely (we are always much too tired to stay out past 9pm, when most dinner places open).

Edited: 18 February 2014, 19:30
Sacramento...
Level Contributor
48 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Greece for the FIRST time.

This is what I have so far. Around 5,085 Euros ($7,000)

- 2324 Euros ($3200) for flight from Sacramento to athens

- 254 Euros ($350) for flights from Athens into Santorini

- 435 Euros ($600) for hotel in Santorini for 4 nights

-435 Euros ($600) for hotel in Athens for 6 nights

- 1,634 Euros ($2250) for everything else such as food, entry to musuems, cheap souvenirs, bus/metro/taxis.

Kamala, Thailand
Level Contributor
582 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Greece for the FIRST time.

Skip dinner? In Greece? [Jaw hits floor in shock...]

Gosh - that's one of the best things about being on holiday in Greece is the food and the ambience, especially staying on an island and eating in a taverna at nightime in a traditional village (chora) on a hill or down by a harbour with all its comings and goings, including ferries.

Delphi,Greece
Destination Expert
for Delphi
Level Contributor
6,120 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Greece for the FIRST time.

Personally I think your accommodation budget would be absolutely fine to most other places than Athens+Santorini. For ~70 euro/night in Athens and ~110 euro/night in Santorini you'll get some clean but spartan accommodation on both places, fine but not anything extraordinary. Check locations very carefully before booking.

Good news is that your budget "for everything else" is more than enough for most people, so you might subtract an amount from that, then add it to accommodation budget.

Just my opinion of course!