We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2.5 days in Athens

Which Athens hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
2.5 days in Athens

My husband and I will be traveling to Athens from Rome between March 30 to April 1. I would like some help with my Itinerary. And any recommendations on places to eat will be a bonus. Thanks in advance.

Day 1 (3/30) Sunday

We will arrive at ATH at 2pm. Take the metro to our hotel (Airotel Stratos Vassilikos) then go to Filopappos Hill. I only know to get there by using the red line and get out of Acropoli. Where do I go there after exiting the metro? After Filopappos Hill, hopefully we will have enough energy to go out at night. What would be a good place to explore?

Day 2 (3/31) Monday

Athens free walking tour which includes Adrian's Arch, Temple of Zeus, Zapeion , Kallimarmaro Stadium, Presidential Palace, National Garden, Monument to the Unknown Soldier, the Parliament, the Mitropolis, the Plaka and the Monastiraki Markets, the Old Mosque, Hadrians Library, the Temple of Vulcan, the Ancient Greek Agora, the Roman Agora, Mars Hill, the Acropolis , the Odeon of Herodus Atticu

That should keep us busy until early afternoon. And need suggestions on where else to go after.

Day 3 (4/1) Tuesday Departure is at 7pm

Going back to the Acropolis museums and site. Have a nice relaxing meal before heading to the airport.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
3,082 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2.5 days in Athens

You have to walk to Vassilisis Sofias avenue to get the metro to Syntagma,the metro stop there is called Megaron Mousikis,you have to change at Syntagma to the red line direction Ellinikon and get off one station after,Acropolis.

It is a 10 minute walk to Acropolis from there,follow the pedestrian way,Filopappos hill is on the left and Acropolis rock on your right hand side,the view from Filopappos hill is amazing,you get the best photos of Acropolis and Athens from the top.On a clear day you can see up to the Saronic gulf islands,

The area to explore at night is Monastiraki down to Thission Metro station,if you want to stay out late you can go to Gazi area for a drink,you will have to take a taxi back,public transport after midnight does not exist during the week.

Lycabettus hill is a good place to visit too for your second afternoon.

London, United...
Level Contributor
15,882 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2.5 days in Athens

The walking tour itinerary is breathtaking! Judging by the length of it, you won't be spending much time looking at any of these sites and sights, much less exploring them in any depth. So I would suggest that you go back to the Acropolis in the afternoon, and give it the attention it deserves. Or, go back to the Ancient Agora, for the same reason - and to see its excellent museum.

If neither of these appeals, Lycabettus is a good suggestion, but I will also throw in the Kerameikos, for me the most peaceful, evocative and exciting of all the ancient sites. And it has a very good little museum/.

Maryland
Level Contributor
561 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2.5 days in Athens

Your hotel is very near Lycabettus Hill which has stunning views of the acropolis and entire city out to Piraeus. It's one of our favorite places in Athens, very peaceful and well worth a visit on your first evening or in the morning on your way to some of the other sites. There's a cafe at the top. You are also close to the Benaki museum (another of our favorites) which overlooks the National Gardens but unfortunately the museum is closed on Monday and Tuesday I believe. Have a great trip!

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
20,684 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2.5 days in Athens

Lycabettus view at night

http://tinyurl.com/42wgc54

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2.5 days in Athens

Thank you everyone for the suggestions. And great pictures greek-traveller.

6. Re: 2.5 days in Athens

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 February 2015, 06:17