We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

transportation to the airport in the middle of the night!?

Dallas, Texas
3 posts
Save Topic
transportation to the airport in the middle of the night!?

We are planning our trip to Europe and one of the destinations is Athens. One of the possible itineraries is to leave Athens on a 5am flight. (to Frankfurt). How early should I be at the airport (i'm thinking 3am?) and is Taxi the best way to leave the hotel? Is it safe? Any experiences?

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
21,094 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: transportation to the airport in the middle of the night!?

Hi,

I would aim to be at the airport earlier then 03.00. Aside from taxis there are buses that operate from the city to the airport 24/7:

http://www.athenstransport.com/english/

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
3,082 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: transportation to the airport in the middle of the night!?

taxi or x95 the express bus to the airport.,both are safe.

Dallas, Texas
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: transportation to the airport in the middle of the night!?

how early would you suggest i get there?

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
21,094 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: transportation to the airport in the middle of the night!?

Hi,

I always aim to be at an airport three hours before a flight.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
3,082 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: transportation to the airport in the middle of the night!?

if it is an international flight 2 hours prior to departure.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: transportation to the airport in the middle of the night!?

Hey and welcome JulianaStaks:-) Although the general rule of thumb is 3 hours prior to an international and 2 hours prior to a domestic.. you'll be just find getting there at 3a;-) Chances are you can get there even later and it won't be a problem as long as you're there about 90 minutes prior.. this airport is super user friendly and all under 1 roof or terminal building.. you can check it out at www.aia.gr/ I do admit, like AjarnAndy, I usually get there before needed.. but I love airports, lol;-)) I also enjoy people watching over a coffee or glass of wine at one of the cafes there.. checking out some DF as well;-)

You'll be fine in a cab.. and note the flat night rate is 50E all-in.. shouldn't take more than around 30-40 min to get there at that time of night from a centrally located hotel... from where you can even arrange to have one come by at specified time;-) Enjoy!

Edited: 04 March 2014, 22:05
Dallas, Texas
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: transportation to the airport in the middle of the night!?

I know what you mean. I LOVE Airports (more than i love flying) for the same reason. I just wanted to see how greeks are with airport rules, because I have had some annoying experiences in airports overseas even being there HOURS before the departure...

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,712 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: transportation to the airport in the middle of the night!?

I personally find being three hours before for a flight to Germany a huge overkill.

Whether you go to USA after Frankfurt has nothing to do with the first flight. The Frankfurt flight is "intra Schengen", being handled the same way domestic flights are, meaning no passport control.

Minimum show up time is just 40 minutes. I definitely do NOT suggest going there so late, but 90 minutes is more than ok, in my personal level of comfort. I 'd plan being there two hours earlier just for the sake of a general "what if i am late" tactic :-)

Bus takes appx. 40' and having in mind you may wait for appx. 20' at the start point at Syndagma, i 'd plan being at the bus stop 3 hours earlier from flight time. If using a taxi, i 'd request a taxi being at the hotel door 2h 30' to 2h 45' before flight time.

---------------------------------------------

You 'll find as many opinions for airport rules as how many the Greeks are. Some go early, some go late; it's really a personal take. That's a 24/7 airport, quite efficient, definitely much relaxed than other airports. Security is very strict but moves fast; i rarely had to wait for more than 15' in the queue; usually it's 5' - 10' queue. Early morning check in lines do get busy sometimew; you can always check in on-line and make the whole thing much easier by going there the time you want and spending te time at a cafe, instead of waiting at a queue. Even if you have luggage and are checking in online, you can drop off luggage at a dedicated, express line check in.

Overall it's a good airport, not extremely expensive, you 'll find good prices and more expensive places, definitely a choice there; fast efficient airport and not huge walking paths having all under the same roof, both domestic and international flights. That's a single roof airport :-)

9. Re: transportation to the airport in the middle of the night!?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 March 2015, 05:20