We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Athens to Thessaloniki

Level Contributor
22 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Train from Athens to Thessaloniki

I have noticed that all the "fast" trains from Athens to Thessaloniki are now the IC rather than the ICE. Are these trains still comfortable, clean, and scenic? Can I make a reservation online? Or am I just better off travelling by plane? Thanks so much!

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
3,082 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Athens to Thessaloniki

it takes ages to reach Thessaloniki even on so called fast train,some parts of the travel is scenic,you can make a reservation online http://www.trainose.gr/en

if you get a reasonable price air ticket dont think twice

Level Contributor
22 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Athens to Thessaloniki

Thank you so much!

3. Re: Train from Athens to Thessaloniki

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 April 2014, 12:56
Level Contributor
22 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from Athens to Thessaloniki

Thanks! I have been checking their web site! I guess you agree that the plane is a better way to go??

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,088 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from Athens to Thessaloniki

Flying is ALWAYS the best way to go.

Level Contributor
22 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from Athens to Thessaloniki

Thanks for all the great responses! I have just booked a flight with Ryanair on May 7th.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
5,126 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Train from Athens to Thessaloniki

haven't used ryanair but like those who have here say check their rules about suitcase size and weight,online check in etc very carefully..as they will charge you extra if you do not follow their rules..

Level Contributor
22 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train from Athens to Thessaloniki

Thanks for the advice! I have flown Ryanair before from Cork, Ireland to London Gatwick and had no problem.

Mentioned in this post
Cork
Cork
County Cork, Ireland
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
578 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train from Athens to Thessaloniki

#3: 9 euros from Athens to Thessaloniki? Or, is this a typo error?

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
153 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train from Athens to Thessaloniki

No typo mate.

Usual ic train fares to Thessaloniki are at about 30 euros one way

Same goes w Ryanair flights. Mind their departure timetables, if you are leaving Athens very early in the morning or arriving at Thessaloniki late at night you might be in for a bit of a discomfort