We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help on deciding how much time in Athens airport needed.

Las Vegas
Level Contributor
375 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Help on deciding how much time in Athens airport needed.

Hello,

we will be flying from Istanbul to Santorini in the beginning of September with a stopover in Athens. The flight we really want only gives us 1 hour 10 minutes to change planes in Athens. Since we are travelling with the same airline we would not have to pick up our luggage and recheck it, correct? Also, no customs until Santorini, right? Am I pushing it too close with such a short connection? If anyone has any experience with this a similar flight, I would appreciate your advise. Thanks in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help on deciding how much time in Athens airport needed.

Hey and welcome roboks:-) All pax arriving from non-Schengen Countries go through immigration/passport control.. you will have to retrieve luggage and go through customs which basically involves walking though either the Green 'Nothing to Declare' door.. or Red Something to Declare' door! You then go up one flight to departure hall.. with boarding pass in hand, you can use the express luggage check so don't have to wait on a line to check in! The airport is all under 1 roof or terminal building so easy to move about.. maneuver.. you can check it out at www.aia.gr/

Having said that, if you are on a through ticket.. either on same carrier or coop/alliance.. you will be guaranteed to you destination.. in this case Santorini;-) If by change, you don't make the transfer, you will be placed on next available .. which doesn't necessarily mean next flight out.. which can be sold out! Only you can decide if that time spread falls into your comfort zone and are comfortable in case anything goes awry and need to wait it out for next flight out with seat availability.. for the most part, through tickets are tried and true.. having been in place and practice for a while and do work.. even though the time spread may seem limited;-) Bottom line, your call and again, your comfort zone rule;-) Enjoy!

Mentioned in this post
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Las Vegas
Level Contributor
375 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help on deciding how much time in Athens airport needed.

Thank you so much, Litsa, this has been very helpful. The next flight after the one I wanted has 4 hour 20 minutes connection in Athens. I think I will have to go with that one instead as much as I hate to waist this much time in Athens airport.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help on deciding how much time in Athens airport needed.

My pleasure roboks:-) And actually, 4 hours is not that long.. really;-) This is a great airport to hang out in IMO.. You'll find loads of cafes, eateries.. great DF.. even a small Museum with artifacts found when building the airport.. and of course, there's the Sofitel smack across the Street where you can grab a table outside and take in some national pastime activity like people watching over a coffee, glass of wine.. snack/lunch.. whatever;-) Time will fly;-) Keep us posted.. keep ejoyin'!

Las Vegas
Level Contributor
375 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help on deciding how much time in Athens airport needed.

Litsa, That's great news:) a museum and a glass of wine? Time will fly for sure! Do you think now is a good time to book Istanbul Santorini flight for early September.? Also, do you happen to know of any good hotel near Acropolis? Not looking for anything extravagant, just clean, modern, safe. Sorry to keep throwing questions at you, I hope you don't mind.

Mentioned in this post
Acropolis
Acropolis
26,694 Reviews
Athens, Greece
Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
22,679 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help on deciding how much time in Athens airport needed.

Airport and Sofitel location

http://tinyurl.com/daeq8f

Near Acropolis - Airotel Parthenon

http://www.airotel.gr/hotel/parthenon

Acropolis area

http://tinyurl.com/czdx56

Mentioned in this post
Airotel Parthenon
Airotel Parthenon
1,574 Reviews
Athens, Greece
Acropolis
Acropolis
26,694 Reviews
Athens, Greece
Las Vegas
Level Contributor
375 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help on deciding how much time in Athens airport needed.

Thank you so much, Greek-traveller, very helpful:)))

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help on deciding how much time in Athens airport needed.

..I thought you already bought the air tickets, lol;-)) I'd be checking daily at this point with all carriers that do the route to include Olympic, Aegean and Turkish Air (the latter only travels to Athens).. nonetheless, Aegean and Olympic (who merged) oftentimes offer some fab deals.. keep en eye out and when you find a fare/connection that you're comfortable with.. would go ahead and book.. and don't look back;-))

As far as hotels.. (and no worries about throwing questions out here.. that's what the forum is all about;-) .. loads in Athens depending on your budget spread! As mentioned, you may want to take a look at the Airotel Parthenon.. others to consider in the area are The Athens Gate and Divani Akropolis;-) You can read reviews here on all properties as well for some first-hand input.. just type the hotel name up in the search box.. top of this page.. right hand side.. lots of pics too;-)) Anything in the central areas of Syntagma Square, Plaka and Monsteraki work.. they all blend together at some point.. lots pedestrianized.. easily walkable as well;-) Enjoyin'!

Mentioned in this post
Airotel Parthenon
Airotel Parthenon
1,574 Reviews
Athens, Greece
Las Vegas
Level Contributor
375 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help on deciding how much time in Athens airport needed.

Thanks so much Litsa, you are very kind. Have been checking every day, the rate for that particular flight seems to stay the same. I think I'll give it a couple more weeks and book. Very excited!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help on deciding how much time in Athens airport needed.

You're welcome roboks:-) Yeah, I know! Clicking that button makes it pretty final, lol;-)) Don't blame you.. I'd be waiting it out a bit as well;-) As far as excited.. yeah, again.. know the feeling very well;)) Enjoyin'!

10. Re: Help on deciding how much time in Athens airport needed.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 March 2015, 06:20