We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay-early flight/boat to Milos in Sep

Which Athens hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
986 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay-early flight/boat to Milos in Sep

We arrive into Athens after the usual 30 hour flight from Australia and have either an early morning flight 0645/0725 or SeaJet 2 service 0700/0925 to Milos. Although very touristy we enjoy time in the Plaka area but we would reallynonly have time for a drink and dinner.

Having just read some reviews on Hotel Phidias and Hotel Lilia we are now thinking that we should consider going straight from the airport to Pireaus and that the waterfront area of Piraeus is quite nice with tavernas etc. This would make it a lot easier for the 7am Sea Jet journey.

Can some local experts offer some comment on the Piraeus option vs staying in Plaka area and then flying to Milos at 6.45am. The other option is staying near Athens airport which I had not previously considered. The quick flight to Milos, although more expensive, makes me ask the question.

Any suggestions, comments or thoughts would be welcome. Thanks

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
21,114 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay-early flight/boat to Milos in Sep

Lilia is some distance away from the main port. You can see some of the way there in this album of Zea Marina. I stayed there some years ago and was not impressed. It is a steep walk to get there.

http://tinyurl.com/dxzfn5

You have to turn right halfway up the hill where you see the car in photo no. 4, and you can see Lilia to the right in the hill on photo no. 14.

Edited: 10 March 2014, 13:20
bridgnorth
Level Contributor
3,399 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay-early flight/boat to Milos in Sep

I think many people would suggest the earliest flight to Milos and sort out the jet lag on a beach. Have your time in Plaka at the end of your trip, which will take care of any problems with flights or ferries.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
986 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay-early flight/boat to Milos in Sep

Thanks, I will rule out Hotel Lilia. I am trying to come up with the best combination of hotel (maybe Phidias) in Piraeus for 7am Sea Jet to Milos and reasonable food options for dinner in a safe environment or Plaka area hotel & bus or metro to airport or Piraeus early next morning (does bus or metro run early enough to guarantee we would check in with sufficient or maybe we would need to taxi?) or is there a decent area to stay near the Airport for 6.45am flight to Milos? The sea jet/Piraeus option may be a little easier and cheaper. Any comments on the advantages or disadvantages of these options?

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
3,082 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay-early flight/boat to Milos in Sep

if you fly then stay either in Athens or here http://www.perishotelapt.gr/ so you an be at the airport on time,if you take the ferry better stay at Piraeus to save time

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12,101 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay-early flight/boat to Milos in Sep

Hi,

You may have other cheaper more comfortable ferry options on the day, maybe different time, like 07:30, 12:00, 14:55. Depends on the day of week/time of year concerned, but if you are going to stay in Athens then you could choose the departure day for a cheaper and bit later departure time for more ease.

You can get to Piraeus very early with the Metro which starts around 06:00 thus Piraeus by 06:20 ish or a taxi of course.

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Chania Town, Naxos
Level Contributor
4,705 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay-early flight/boat to Milos in Sep

Personally I would fly to Milos as soon as possible.

There is a very nice hotel and reasonably priced near the airport called Peris. They provide a shuttle to the hotel and back to the airport. It is actually out in the country down a small lane but it was very well appointed. We used it when we arrived at midnight and had a 6am flight the next morning. We had a lovely 4 hours at Peris.

If you do decide to fly and stay in Plaka area you will have to take a taxi or bus back to the airport because the metro doesn't start running early enough to make that early flight and after doing all three options over the years Peris is a good option.

Since you are going to Milos here are some images of where you will be getting over jet lag.

Milos 2011

flickr.com/photos/…

Milos 2013

flickr.com/photos/…

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
986 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay-early flight/boat to Milos in Sep

Thanks for the suggestions of later ferries or flights but I have already investigate this and the options for Wed 3Sep are: flights to Milos at 6:45 am or very late afternoon which is too late, Sea Jets and Aegean Speedlines depart at 7am & 7:30am. So I am trying to work out how to get to the airport from the Plaka area in time for a 6:45am flight as this leaves little room for delays if the metro doesn't start until 5:30am. I dont know what time the x95 bus goes to the airport or it's frequency at that time in the morning. Taxi about €35?? The other alternative is to stay in Piraeus (Piraeus Dreams Hotel reviews well and looks convenient) and take Sea Jet2 at 7am. This will be less of a hassle and I gather there are tavernas nearby but not quite the fun experience of the Plaka. I have had a look at the Peris Hotel near the airport and it would also be a possibility.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
3,082 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay-early flight/boat to Milos in Sep

taxi will cost you 50 euros at that time,x95 runs 24 hours a day you have to take a bus around 5 a.m. to be at the airport on time.

London, United...
Level Contributor
16,453 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay-early flight/boat to Milos in Sep

I would stay at Peri's and fly to Milos. It seems to me to be a better option for at least two reasons:

1) You'll avoid the extra travel-hassle of getting to Piraeus from the airport. It may not sound like much compared to a 30-hour flight, but it could be the last straw when you're tired.

2) you'll be at Peri's within a few minutes of leaving the airport and will have more time to rest after your endless flight (I don't know how people do it!)

3) you'll be on Milos at least a couple of hours earlier than if you take the sea jet.

Does this make sense? It feels like a no-brainer to me.

Edited: 10 March 2014, 17:53
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
986 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay-early flight/boat to Milos in Sep

Thanks everyone for the advice. It still comes down to an extremely early start to be at the airport by 5:45am (to allow for check in and a small amount of time for unexpected delays). The option of Sea Jet 2 from Pireaus means a later departure & just a short walk to the gate on departure day and we can wander around a little bit on the afternoon of arrival before an early dinner and early night. We would arrive in Milos at 9.30am on Sea Jet as opposed to 7.45am on Olympic. Leaning towards the Sea Jet option at this point.

My question now with Sea Jet 2 is whether, based on past history at this time of year, it is likely to be rough or an upleasant journey (7am Pireaus to Milos first week of September) and whether we need to book in advance - when should we make this decision - months, weeks or days before travel date. Carrying a smAll number of passengers than the Blue Star ferries I am not sure if we can just book at the last minute??