We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How safe or dangerous is the area around Omonia square?

Porto Alegre, RS
5 posts
Save Topic
How safe or dangerous is the area around Omonia square?

Hello, my name is Fernando, I'm going to be in Athens on July 3rd. I'll be staying at a hotel very close to Omonia square. The problem is that my flight will arrive in Athens around 1:00 AM, and I've heard that the area around Omonia square is a bit dangerous to be walking alone at such a late hour (I'll be there alone). I'll have to take the express bus that goes from the Airport to Syntagma square and then walk all the way to the hotel. Do you think it's safe? Should I be worried?

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Argassi, Zakynthos
Level Contributor
3,691 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How safe or dangerous is the area around Omonia square?

I can't advise on whether its safe or not, but if you're bothered why not take a taxi to your hotel. Its got to be better than walking anywhere at that time of the night when you don't know the area.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How safe or dangerous is the area around Omonia square?

Hey and welcome FACastello:-) Firstly, why would you have to walk if you don't want to?:-) There are loads of cabs at Syntagma Square where the dedicated express airport bus X95 is.. last stop on bus as well;-) Nonetheless, where is this hotel exactly?! Have you already paid?! You may want to consider just changing hotels.. loads nearby where the bus will drop you off to fit all budgets:-) For starters on some economical options close-by walking distance from bus stop at Syntagma Square are The Pan, Arethusa, Plaka and Home Sweet Home Hotels;-) EnJOY!

Porto Alegre, RS
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How safe or dangerous is the area around Omonia square?

Thank you! Looking at the map I just thought that the hotel is not very far from Syntagma square, I guess it's a 15 minute walk, so that's why I didn't consider using a cab. The hotel is at Pireos Street, I liked it because it's so close to everything, I made my reservation on Booking . com because the price was fair enough...

Anyway maybe I'll just use the cab if I'm too afraid :)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How safe or dangerous is the area around Omonia square?

Our pleasure:-) You don't mention hotel name.. or where on Pireos Street .. nonetheless, you can read what folks have to say about the Street/area here.. just type in Pireos Street up in the search box.. top of this page.. left hand side;-) Keep enjoyin'!

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,317 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How safe or dangerous is the area around Omonia square?

15 min is ambitious considering you ll be carrying luggage and also be a bit disoriented. Omonia square is not really that dangerous (the actual square and big roads leading to it - the backstreets should be avoided) but for that particular trip I would certainly take the short taxi ride. It shouldnt cost more than 5 euros. You ll be already saving a lot by not taking the 50 euros taxi straight from the airport. Just take a cab from syntagma!

Porto Alegre, RS
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: How safe or dangerous is the area around Omonia square?

Yeah I've just read the comments on that street, looks like it's just an ugly, uninteresting street, no wonder the hotel is so cheap (Elite Hotel), but as a backpacker one of my priorities is to "reduce costs at all costs" hahah... Thanks again for the advice :)

Porto Alegre, RS
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: How safe or dangerous is the area around Omonia square?

Evan76 Actually I won't be carrying luggage, just a very light backpack. Guess I'll just take the taxi ride anyway :)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How safe or dangerous is the area around Omonia square?

.. have you checked out www.athensbackpackers.gr/ ?;-) Keep enjoyin' all!

Edited: 25 March 2014, 18:13
Porto Alegre, RS
5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: How safe or dangerous is the area around Omonia square?

I didn't know about this "Athens Backpackers" hostel, looks interesting, the location is even better... maybe I'll give it a try :D

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How safe or dangerous is the area around Omonia square?

Way better location.. you can easily walk from the bus.. it's in the Plaka area.. super central;-) Keep us posted.. enjoyin'!