We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

300 Euros for 5D/4N trip in Athens - Enough?

7 posts
Save Topic
300 Euros for 5D/4N trip in Athens - Enough?

Hi guys,

So, I've booked and paid for my flights and accommodation for a 5D/4N trip to Athens in late September. As I'm on a limited budget (a student), can I survive with just 300 Euros for the whole trip? Realistically, in terms of food, I was thinking of just bringing some snacks, instant noodles, or bread and jam from home, so that I can cut daily eating expenses to maybe about 5-10 euros (or maybe less than that) daily.Besides, the place I'll be staying at (Athens Backpackers) provides breakfast anyway, so that's good.

How much do you guys think I need to budget for transportation around Athens (not sure where I'll go yet) daily? Is walking a preferred method to explore the city? And maybe for souvenirs and cultural tidbits?

Also, what's the cheapest mode of transportation from the international airport to the city centre? What's the approximate rate?

Thanks heaps for the input!

George's Taxi
Taxis & Shuttles, Private Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, City Tours
PK Travel
Bus Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Walking Tours, City Tours, Private Tours
H.P. Tours - Hellenic Private Tours
Taxis & Shuttles, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
new
Level Contributor
463 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 300 Euros for 5D/4N trip in Athens - Enough?

Hi,

Yes, it could be enough. You can always buy gyros or some other fast food for less then a few euros.

Many parts of the town are very easily available by foot. For more information about transportation check out this:

http://wikitravel.org/en/Athens#Get_around

and about transportation from the airport:

http://wikitravel.org/en/Athens#Get_in

As you can see, there is a lot of options...

new
Level Contributor
463 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 300 Euros for 5D/4N trip in Athens - Enough?

And for souvenirs price, check out this:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g189398-i192-k7293…

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
2,303 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 300 Euros for 5D/4N trip in Athens - Enough?

Hello Farhana A and welcome to the forum.

Assuming you see the page from a desctop pc

please have a look at" Top questions about Athens " at the top right hand corners

It has answers to most of your questions.

Events here

. http://athens.angloinfo.com/whatson/ .

Furthermore with google translate or similar you can see here free things to do

. http://www.forfree.gr/voltes.php?area=12 .

Australia
Level Contributor
19 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 300 Euros for 5D/4N trip in Athens - Enough?

One component of my trip to Athens each year is on a strict budget: 300 euro for a week.

Here are my tips:

Public transport around Athens is cheap. Walking is cheaper!

If you are going to the Acropolis, go on your first day if possible. With your ticket to the Acropolis you will receive vouchers to enter other sites free. Hence your major siteseeing is taken care of.

Take your own plastic kettle (+ adaptor) instant/coffee/tea.

Take packets of noodles (I once depleted a little supermarket's whole supply). You can supplement this diet with bags of fruit from the barrows outside Monastiraki train station, eg. I am hooked on their strawberries - some of the best in Europe - for as little as 2 euro per kg.

Don't forget to treat yourself with local feta and yogurt, as I guarantee they will be cheaper than in your own country.

Try Ice and Grill bar, just up from Μonastiraki, you can get cheap giros, chips, ice-cream etc., in a pleasant setting. Another cheap place to eat is the little cafe at the end of Adrianou, outside Thisseo station. A slice of spanakopita from one of Grigori's outlets is also good.

If you are going to the new Acropolis Museum, don't be afraid to try their restaurant. Prices are surprisingly cheaper than I've come to expect from similar other museum settings around the world.

For souvenirs I usually bring back small bottles of ouzo and fridge magnets.

Having budgeted in this way, I can guarantee you will have money left over to treat yourself to a couple of good meals!

Hope this has been of help.

London, United...
Level Contributor
18,241 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 300 Euros for 5D/4N trip in Athens - Enough?

> I was thinking of just bringing some snacks, instant noodles, or bread and jam from home, so that I can cut daily eating expenses to maybe about 5-10 euros (or maybe less than that) daily.<

That's a terrible idea. :0) If all you can afford is cheap snacks, you'll find Athens full of delicious ones: gyros, spinach pies, cheese pies, other pies, available everywhere:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g189400-d1…

For breakfast do as Athenians do and have a koulouri (google it) available at every street corner, on the run.

I could go on indefinitely.

Unless your home town's noodles and jam are of such superior quality that you can't live without them, leave them behind and enjoy simple, cheap Greek food in Athens.

Re transport: the X95 bus is cheaper than the metro from and to the airport. Within the city, all the major sights and sites are within a relatively small, easily walkable area. You won't need to use the metro or the buses much, but they're cheap if you do.

300 euros for five days is more than enough. You'll even be able to sit down for a "proper" meal in a nice Psyrri taverna for a special 10-12 euro treat.

Enjoy Athens: I'm sure you will.

Edited: 25 April 2014, 08:50
Delphi,Greece
Destination Expert
for Delphi
Level Contributor
6,129 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 300 Euros for 5D/4N trip in Athens - Enough?

When reading the original post and then the answers, I got a little bit confused... If I get it right you have accomodation paid for. So your 300 euro comes to about 75 euro per day for 4 full days or 60 euros per day if it's 5 full days...and this is for local transport, food, shopping, sightseen etc.... I honestly can not think that this is a strict budget so you have to rely on street food etc. Actually you can easily have sit down meals both for lunch and dinner if you wish to, and enough money left for admission fees on two-three museums/sites or a couple of activities per day.

Just to give you some estimates on the costs,

Maybe the more pricey admission fee you'll have to pay is the Acropolis one and this is a great bargain including all those: Acropolis of Athens, Ancient Agora of Athens, Archaeological Museum of Kerameikos, Hadrian's Library, Kerameikos, Museum of the Ancient Agora, North slope of Acropolis, Olympieio, Roman Agora of Athens, South Slope of Acropolis .

Full ticket costs 12 euro but as a student you might be entitled on reduced admission, only 6 euro.

Full admission on world class museums are pretty reasonable, such as the National Archeological one 7 euro (reduced 3euro) or the New Acropolis one 5 euro (reduced 3 euro too)

Not many people are aware that there is (or was last time I checked), a special ticket package, full admission12 euro, reduced 6 euro covering the National Archaeological Museum, the Byzantine & Christian Museum the Numismatic Museum (one of my favorites lol) and the Epigraphic Museum.

You may check the official website of Greek Ministry of Cutlure to be informed on timetables, costs etc in advance: http://odysseus.culture.gr/index_en.html

Public transport in Athens is ridiculously cheap compared to other European capitals and definately will not burst your budget. Athens International Airport to city center is 5 euro on a bus and 8 euro on metro, so use whatever seems convenient. 3 euros will not break the bank on your specifics I would think.

Most places on city center are within walking distance and often it is a pleasant walk on pedestrianised areas, but using metro, bus or tram a couple of times per day would be cheap and easy. A ticket valid for 90 consecutive minutes costs only 1.40 euro and can be used for any route on metro, tram, trolley or bus within the city center.

On the food subject, a pita gyros, the wraped thing, costs a couple of euros and a koulouri about 0.50 euros, but honestly I do not think you should stick with those if you don't want to. As Alabastron wisely points out, you can easily have a nice sit down meal in a decent tavern, say a Greek salad and a main course for 10-15 euro.

So say you use public transport a couple of times per day, that's ~3 euro+two or three admission fees~ 15 euro + 2 sit down meals ~25 euro, you are on the 45 euro mark and you have moeny left for a couple of drinks, or to sit down on the evening and enjoy a coffee and a snack and people watch (highly recommended) or to go for some shopping.

Problems solved : )

7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 300 Euros for 5D/4N trip in Athens - Enough?

Thank you so much everyone for your responses! Haha. I guess I was being a bit uptight about the budget (hence the instant noodles and snacks), but that's because I'm a total foodie and I love to splurge on food more than anything, so I guess by placing that restriction on myself, I'll be able to control myself better. But seeing how seasoned Athens travelers such as your good selves strongly recommend against it (and also because the food there seems cheap), I'll gladly pack away my noodles, snacks, breads, jams and whatnot. I'll be looking to go visit some historical as well as mythological sites as well, because I'm a sucker for Greek mythology, so thanks for the tips on places to go.

I'll be happy if people still wanna give their input to this question :)

UK
Level Contributor
368 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 300 Euros for 5D/4N trip in Athens - Enough?

Don't forget your student card as you may be entitled to reduced admission, I'm a (mature!) student studying with a UK Uni and I got free entrance into all archaeological sites, including the Acropolis, the archaeological museum and reduced admission into a number of other museums.

If you are going to use the metro buy a ticket for 24 hours or several days, this gives you unlimited use of the metro, buses and trams (although not for travel to the airport)

For lunch, Gyros is cheap and look out for Gregory's chain of outlets (green signs) Frappes only around €1.20 sandwiches and wraps not much more either. We stayed outside of the usual central tourist areas last month and in September and never paid more than €25 (often much less) for two people, with bread, a main course and wine.

Souvenirs are a little cheaper outside of Plaka, look at the shops around the Makrigianni area, near the Acropoli metro station, or in the Monistiraki area.

Luckily I'm not on such a strict budget, but still look out for good deals, which means I can eat out everyday whilst on holiday and travel quite a few times a year!

Have a great time!

9. Re: 300 Euros for 5D/4N trip in Athens - Enough?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 April 2015, 05:16