We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to buy Athens pass

Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
38 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Best place to buy Athens pass

We will be staying in Athens for five nights, but just two full days, broken up by trips to Hydra and Santorini. Is there a BEST place to buy the Athens Multi-site pass so that we can use it for a little longer than the 4 day limit? Do all of the smaller sites issue tickets with the same sensitivity? We would like to see a few things each partial day if possible.

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
444 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place to buy Athens pass

Are you talking about the Acropolis ticket?

It is good for 4 days and only one time at each site. And its only 12 Euros, so its not going to break your piggy bank.

(Note that when we were in Rome --last year-- it costs about 12-15 Euros for EACH site you visit, which really adds up!)

Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
38 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place to buy Athens pass

Hi, I am talking about the Acropolis ticket, and wondering if all of the tickets are the same (I read that some are scanned and some are tear-off depending on WHICH location they are purchased from). I need them to span more than 4 days and am wondering if the tickets are more time sensitive in one format over the other.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
2,259 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place to buy Athens pass

Apart from Acropolis ticket all the others don't cost more than 4 euros .

. odysseus.culture.gr/h/3/eh355.jsp?obj_id=2384 .

If you find it expensive and you try to find a way out of it ,please , PLEASE don't come to Greece

Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
38 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place to buy Athens pass

OK, I guess I will stay home. Thanks.

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
444 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best place to buy Athens pass

The tickets are only good for 4 days, no matter which site you buy them.

Note (however) that they don't use bar code readers at some of the smaller sites, and they just stamp the back of the ticket.

I would imagine you *could* use the ticket(s) at those sites after 4 days, but I would not recommend this.

(If you tried this on the Metro, for example, they would charge a penalty of 50x the face value of the ticket)

London, United...
Level Contributor
16,946 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best place to buy Athens pass

>OK, I guess I will stay home. Thanks.<

Your sarcasm is not well placed and not justified. It sounded more than a little mean and stingy to post here with a worry about possibly having to spend a few euros in the days after your four-day multi-ticket expires, and I understood and sympathised with the usually-mild and always helpful Aldro's response.

Think about it. You're coming all the way from Oregon to visit one of the most interesting and exciting cities in the world, and you're fussing about having to spend a few extra dollars on seeing some of the most important ancient sites. It's mind-boggling. Aldro's mind obviously boggled, and so did mine.

Don't stay home. Come, and enjoy Athens. But don't begrudge the pittance you'll have to spend on a few remarkably cheap tickets.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
3,082 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best place to buy Athens pass

it is helpful to know that in other european cities or in Istanbul the 10 euro ticket applies to each monument or ancient site you visit,staying home is your choice,we will not beg you to come.

Washingon DC area
Level Contributor
1,733 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best place to buy Athens pass

I must not understand what you're trying to do. Are you planning to visit Santorini on a daytrip? That's going to cost you at least $200 per person just in air fare. Hydra will take an entire day, so you really aren't going to have any half-days in Athens.

Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
38 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best place to buy Athens pass

We will be on Santorini for a week for my daughter's destination wedding and Hydra for a few days for my other daughter's college graduation trip, which also includes ten nights on the Amalfi Coast. Trust me, we are pumping a LOT of EUROS into the Greek economy. Athens, which I have visited before, is more of an afterthought here. I just won't bother bringing my group to visit the smaller sites if it doesn't work with the 4 day pass. Perhaps we will not revisit any of the sites. (I only asked this because I had read on several other sites that these are not necessarily time sensitive.) I apologize to all of the people who think I am trying to rip off the Greek economy. I always plan everything very, very carefully and realized that most of the smaller places could not be visited in 4 days, it would probably take our group parts of 5 days. I didn't consider this theft. The above responses give me a negative impression of Athens and I don't want negativity to ruin this wonderful wedding and graduation family trip. Of course,I don't judge an entire city by a few people, but overall I am less inclined to spend a lot of time and money where I don't feel welcome.

Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
38 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best place to buy Athens pass

"...we will not beg you to come.", ".. PLEASE don't come to Greece." I am certainly considering this advice. Of course, we will still visit Santorini and Hydra as we have plans that involve many other people, but now a direct flight from Santorini to the Athens airport is probably a much better plan that I hadn't really considered before. A few extra days in Santorini sounds lovely. My husband was not in love with Athens on previous visits, so this will be better for him. Sorry my little question "boggled any one's mind" and thank you for inadvertently helping me make better use of our time.