We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting from Santorini to Athens

Pasco, Washington
Level Contributor
273 posts
106 reviews
Save Topic
Getting from Santorini to Athens

Our trip plan was to leave Santorini on Sunday Sept 28 at 7am via the blue ferry. Pros was that we could sit on top and have a nice cruise in the Aegean Sea. Con was that it left so early, we would miss out on a nice breakfast on our patio. (We arrive to Santorini via air from Tel Aviv on Thursday Sept 25 at noon).

Now thinking we might want another half day in Santorini the options are:

Take the later blue ferry at 3pm, but that would have most of that cruise in the dark. Also we arrive I think at 11:30 pm which is a little concerning.

Take a quicker SeaJet in the afternoon, but we would be inside the vessel

Or, we could just fly in the afternoon and miss the cruise aspect. altogether.

We are assuming in our plan that the weather will be just great for the blue ferry, but you never know.

Does anyone have thoughts on our options. Are we over-rating the cruise experience?

Thank you

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting from Santorini to Athens

On the other hand you could have a nice breakfast sailing in the caldera.. At this early hour you will be able to pick the best seats on deck.

Such questions, and there are hundreds of them on the Greece forum (just type in the search box Santorini, flight, ferry), lead nowhere. Some people prefer planes, some ferries. I would only eliminate the Seajet. There is nothing nice about it, and if the weather is not nice for the Blue Star, it will hell on the Seajet.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12,747 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting from Santorini to Athens

No brainer, I would take the 07:00 Bluestar ferry for the simple reason that it arrives at a more sensible hour, sensible price.

The Seajet 2/Masterjet I would not take at all with at least 2 bigger better cheaper alternative Bluestar ferries.

Fly/Ferry - the expression I use is - You fly to Tourist Resorts, and take the ferry to Greek Islands.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting from Santorini to Athens

Hey and welcome bizeesheri:-) This is such a personal call.. can totally understand coming the distance to want a *cruise like* experience but do be aware that only the larger vessels will allow for that with loads of outdoor deck space.. the smaller vessels are set up with airplane type seating so even if you get a window seat, the windows are usually encrusted with sea salt so not much to see;-)

Appears you've got 3 nights.. 2 full days! If you feel you've accomplished all you want to see then take the morning ferry.. otherwise, would make it easy on yourselves and just hop on the puddle jumper flight that takes barely 40 min back to Athens.. taking in that final caldera view breakfast unstressed.. and EnJOY!

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,088 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting from Santorini to Athens

>Are we over-rating the cruise experience?<

There is no cruise experience just 7-10 hours of hell in a crowded boat where you have to stay inside most of the time ...

FLY ,you will thank God you did.

There is nothing worse than a long boat ride in Greece.

Edited: 26 April 2014, 19:31
Pasco, Washington
Level Contributor
273 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting from Santorini to Athens

Thank you all for your suggestions. I will talk to my friend and make a decision.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting from Santorini to Athens

Our pleasure bizeesheri:-) Keep us posted.. keep enjoyin'!

Maryland
Level Contributor
561 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting from Santorini to Athens

Fly, and while in Santorini book one of the half day catamaran cruises around the caldera. Just my opinion but the only time the ferry is a good option is when hopping from Santorini to another Cylades island. Agree with koutras, 7-10 hours on the ferry is not a particularly enjoyable experience!

Pasco, Washington
Level Contributor
273 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting from Santorini to Athens

We do have a half day catamaran cruise already booked for one of our full days there. The other full day is totally open for us to do as we want.

I did book the flight yesterday. Way more expensive but 'at this point what difference does it make" LOL Already spending a lot for the 3 weeks total tour experience. (15 hour layover in Paris on the way, so doing a day there, 10 days in Israel, then Santorini, then Athens). 2pm flight so we get a relaxing morning and maybe even lunch before departure.

We have a 6am from Tel Aviv and a 7am from Athens flight so not having another early morning departure will be good.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting from Santorini to Athens

Sounds like a plan;-) Trust you'll come back and give us a review on how much you enjoyed?;-)

10. Re: Getting from Santorini to Athens

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 April 2015, 05:16