We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from airport to Syntagma

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
32 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Train from airport to Syntagma

Hi - can anybody tell me if the express train from Athens airport goes direct to syntagma square or do we have to change at another station, our hotel is near syntagma square and need the quickest route and most direct way. Also any tips on which gate to go to for the station etc. your help would be appreciated. We arrive on a Saturday afternoon, how frequently do the trains run on weekends? Cheers

Desford, United...
Level Contributor
1,426 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from airport to Syntagma

The metro runs direct from the airport to Syntagma Square. Departures at the airport are every 30 minutes and take 40 minutes. The single fare is 8 euros but there are reduced price tickets if there are two or three of you. I believe there are also concessions for younger and older travellers.

The metro is only a 10 minute walk from arrivals. Just make sure you get on a line 3 metro not the suburban railway.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
32 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from airport to Syntagma

Thank you so much, I am assuming that the line 3 metro is separate from the suburban railway or do they run on the same line? Also does the express train stop along the way or does it go direct to Syntgma? Cheers

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,302 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from airport to Syntagma

Metro and suburban depart from the opposite sides of the same platform. There are signs and the trains look different. Dont worry, its easy to see what is what.

The metro train stops on all stops. There is no express train. So pick a nice (and convenient for your exit) seat when you board the almost empty train at the airport cause it ll get crowded when it ll arrive at syntagma.

However, even if its packed when it ll arrive at syntagma, you shouldnt worry. The vast majority of passengers will disembark there. So just follow the flow of people getting off, and eventually you ll reach the door.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from airport to Syntagma

Hey and welcome Katerina S:-) You've recv'd excellent info.. not much to add but to just be aware.. the train and get very crowded along the route picking up pax at the stops en route to Syntagma Square.. If you'll be coming off the long haul, consider taking the dedicated bus X95 which is smack outside arrivals in front of the cab line for only 5E p/p.. has dedicated luggage space and will leave you right on Syntamga Square as well;-) I find it a nice, easy.. mini-sightseeing run coming off a long haul when I've been cooped up in a plane for 10 hours.. need some air;-)) Takes about as long as the train.. give or take since it's traffic dependent;-) EnJOY!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
32 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from airport to Syntagma

Thank you Litsa and everybody else who took the time to respond. I thought the train would have been the way to go and ran express from the airport to the city - thank goodness for forums! I think maybe the Bus is the best option, we certainly will be on a long haul flight from Australia and fighting crowds on a train isn't the best way to begin our stay in Athens, with the added bonus of some sightseeing along the way. Do the buses run 24/7 and if so, how frequently on a late Saturday afternoon? Thanks to you all again .... cheers

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
32 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from airport to Syntagma

Thank you rimshot, now we just have to decide, bus or train....

Thanks all for your suggestions, cheers from Australia

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,302 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train from airport to Syntagma

Bus can get pretty crowded as well. They wait at the rank for about 10-15 minutes before departing, so if you arrive just before its departure theres a good chance there wont be any seats available and you ll have to ride standing (while also holding your luggage). If thats the case, I recommend you wait for the next bus and take a seat. On the other hand, the metro departs from the airport almost empty, you ll definitely find seats.

It will probably get crowded allong the way, but since your destination is Syntagma, you wont have any trouble getting off ( most passengers will get off as well).

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
32 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train from airport to Syntagma

Thanks for your comments Evan76, we will certainly check out the situation when we arrive - I suppose the positive with the train is there would be no traffic hold ups along the way. Cheers

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Train from airport to Syntagma

I'm landing in Athens around 11AM and have a flight to Mykonos at about 6PM. We were thinking yo head to the city center for a couple of hours. What is a more quick and efficient method ...train, bus or taxi? We will be landing on a Saturday

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
21,585 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train from airport to Syntagma

Look up Airport transportation in the "Top questions about Athens" on the top right of the forums.