We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Athens to Island(s) June 2014

Dublin, Ireland
3 posts
Save Topic
Athens to Island(s) June 2014

Hi all,

I am arriving in Athens on Sat 14th June, and flying out on Sat 22nd.

I will have four days to spare and I am strongly considering taking a solo break to an Island/resort.

I have no fixed preferences as such, as long as there is good weather, a bit of culture, and a nice relaxed atmosphere.

I was thinking of Santorini, but i hear it is quite touristy, and it is a bit of a journey down, so ideally somewhere closer to Athens itself.

Essentially I am looking for a quiet few days, especially as I will have just came from Istanbul-Athens on a business/sight-seeing trip, and will be in need of some poolside r&r!

Any reccomendations?

Many thanks in advance!

Dublin, Ireland
3 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Athens to Island(s) June 2014

Fantastic, thank you for your advice,

I do plan on coming back to Greece either later this year or next year to properly Island Hop and see as much as possible, so one Island will be enough for this short trip.

Can I fly directly from Athens to Lemnos?

Dublin, Ireland
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Athens to Island(s) June 2014

Thanks for the advice again, but unfortunately I do not drive!

Would it be a bad idea to go there without the ability to rent a car?

Anywhere else then you could reccomend for pedestrians such as myself?!

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12,340 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Athens to Island(s) June 2014

Hi,

I think Syros is one of the better choices as it does have relatively good bus services and also flights/ferries from Athens/Piraeus and not too far away.

Closer in is Aegina which has a frequent Catamaran/Hydrofoil from Piraeus taking less than an hour. Decent island bus services as well.

Skyros is a good choice, flights from Athens, buses limited to a couple of times day from Linaria the port to Chora to coincide with ferry departures/arrivals.

Islands like Lemnos, Astypalaea have very limited buses going the wrong way for tourists i.e. village > Main town early morning then ~14:00 back to villages.

Seville, Spain
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Athens to Island(s) June 2014

I second Syros, the main town is nice if you don't have transport. Also Kea. Very close, direct short ferry, nice laid back atmosphere. Check Red Tractor Farm, it's great!

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
678 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Athens to Island(s) June 2014

I suggest Agistri

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
3,082 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Athens to Island(s) June 2014

3rd for Syros for all reasons the op wants to go to an island,all is there.

7. Re: Athens to Island(s) June 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 May 2015, 05:17