We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Athens 2 1/2 day Itinerary Suggestions and Ideas Please!

New York
Level Contributor
298 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Athens 2 1/2 day Itinerary Suggestions and Ideas Please!

Ok, so I am getting very excited because I planned this trip months ago and it is getting closer. We will be staying in the Plaka area for 3 nights, but actually have 2 1/2 days taking into consideration travel time. Here is our itinerary so far:

1st day: Arrive in Athens Plaka area hotel 2-3pm. We will be jet-lagged since we are traveling from New York. Possible lunch or dinner at our hotel's rooftop Acropolis restaurant. Need suggestions for this half day. (Lycabettus Hill?, followed by dinner in the area around Lycabettus Hill area? How is the area? Any other ideas on what to do this half day? )

2nd day: Acropolis, City and Acropolis Museum Walking Tour (9am-2:00pm) - (any suggestions for the rest of the day/night?)

3rd day: Athens Food Tour followed by lunch in Psiri (9am - 2:00pm) - Athens Segway Night Tour with a stop in a Plaka area taverna/restaurant (8pm). Any suggestions for the rest of the time in between the two tours?

We like to get immersed in the culture, and love eating and sitting outside people watching. We love history and archeological sites, and getting immersed and visiting "neighborhoods". My daughter also likes to shop. We like to shop for authentic items that represent the culture. Since we are going on the tours, I think they cover the main sites. However, we are looking to "fill in the blanks" of the time that we don't have anything yet planned with memorable things to do/sites to see.

All suggestions are welcome. It is alot of fun planning this vacation and we want to make the most out of our time in Athens. Not everything will be set in stone, but just having different options will absolutely help us!! Also, if there are recommendations for good restaurants, mostly with a lively atmosphere and people watching.

Many thanks!!

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
237 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Athens 2 1/2 day Itinerary Suggestions and Ideas Please!

Great to see you so excited! sounds like a nice itinerary - you obviously like your day tours!

I think your first day sounds just right, get your jet lag dealt with!

On the second day I would suggest lunch around the Monastriaki area. Then Athenian Agora in detail, it houses the Temple to Hephaestus and the Stoa of Attlos, the agora isnt usually included in tours apart form walking past the gates. Then maybe souvlaki for dinner in the area. (if you have extra time you can check out other nearby ancient sites like Hadrians library/Temple to the olympion zeus etc etc)

The 3rd day (is your tour with Athens Walks? Despina was my tour guide and it was my favorite thing that i did in Athens!) after the tour/lunch i would take a little while to talk around psirri, but if you feel like whacking another tour in there I'd suggest a cape sunion tour for the sunset. Athens Walks also organises this tour.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
21,761 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Athens 2 1/2 day Itinerary Suggestions and Ideas Please!

To get ideas also look up the "Top questions about Athens" on the top right of the forum.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
45 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Athens 2 1/2 day Itinerary Suggestions and Ideas Please!

I have 2 1/2 days similar to you, but I am going in August, this is my itinerary:

First day (1/2 day) - Panatheanic Stadium, Hadrian's Arch, Temple of Zeus

Second day - Acropolis area + Monstraski

Third day - Mt. Lycabettus + Kolonaki

New York
Level Contributor
298 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Athens 2 1/2 day Itinerary Suggestions and Ideas Please!

Hi - Thanks to all for your helpful replies.

LittleRunner - Yes, the food tour is with Despina. So, it will give me the chance to explore different neighborhoods.

Have any of you done the Cape Sounion Sunset Tour? Maybe we can do that the first day that we arrive (the 1/2 day)? Is Cape Sounion worth seeing?

Also, what are your thoughts on Lycabettus Hill? As I mentioned above, this is also a possibility for our first 1/2 day, possibly followed by a dinner in the area around Lycabettus Hill. Is this area fairly safe? Any good restaurant suggestions in this area?

Also, any good restaurant suggestions in each of Monastiriki and Plaka? We like outdoor dining and people watching or views of the Acropolis would be nice.

Do you suggest making dinner reservations? (We are going in July).

I apologize for all the questions, but you guys (and girls) on TA are so very helpful!!!

Thank you!

concord nh
Level Contributor
3,251 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Athens 2 1/2 day Itinerary Suggestions and Ideas Please!

I always recommend and visit Anafiotika every time in Athens. It's the Greek "island" on the north side of the Acropolis. With it's white-washed houses, narrow lanes and lovely views you will feel like you are on a Greek island and you will never realize you are in a city of millions. It's a nice residential area with beautiful container gardens, lots of cats where you'll find some peace and quiet from the hordes of tourists in the main tourist zones. Another great area are the Central Markets on Athinas St. Not overly touristy and some great sights of seafood, meats, produce, herbs, deli foods, etc.

Edited: 12 May 2014, 19:31
Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
21,761 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Athens 2 1/2 day Itinerary Suggestions and Ideas Please!

In Plaka this is a great dinner option:

http://www.sholarhio.gr/english/index.php

The Psirri area also has many great options.

http://psirri.gr/english/

Lycabettus at night

http://tinyurl.com/42wgc54

Ottawa
Level Contributor
2,368 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Athens 2 1/2 day Itinerary Suggestions and Ideas Please!

On your visit to the Acropolis Museum, there is a very good taverna on the street behind the museum entrance I highly recommend called To Kati Allo. We have eaten there at least once on most of our eleven visits to Athens. It gets very good reviews here on TA as well.

Karen

New York
Level Contributor
298 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Athens 2 1/2 day Itinerary Suggestions and Ideas Please!

Thank you!! More suggestions welcome :)

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
14 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Athens 2 1/2 day Itinerary Suggestions and Ideas Please!

I have just posted a list of walking distance sites at this location: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g189400-i194-k7451… Believe me, your days will be completely full just in those immediate areas. You will not have any trouble picking a restaurant in Plaka. You might also try Adrianou Street. Those areas seem nicer than Monastiraki for dining because the latter is quite crowded (even packed) and ultra touristy (flea market style) although I love Monastiraki. Sometimes you have to pick by the direction of the breeze and how crowded vs. inviting is a place at a particular moment.

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
44 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Athens 2 1/2 day Itinerary Suggestions and Ideas Please!

How do I arrange the food tour you mention? I am also going in July!