We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Curious about street dogs around Athens

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
748 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Curious about street dogs around Athens

In our 7 full days in Athens we had an amazing time. All the posts on this forum and everything you see in pictures are helpful but seeing everything in person and experiencing the city has been an incredible experience, and we are already thinking about returning next year.

Many of you were good enough to share your perceptions about the graffiti art, which I appreciated too,

My other question is about the very large and mostly sleeping dogs we saw all around Athens. Some outside shops, others on the walk near the Acropolis, on one of the days we went to visit we saw 3 there alone. There were several others by the ticket office area, others by the Acropolis museum. the The Plaka, Syntagma Square and it seems almost everywhere else we went.

They seemed so at peace, mostly sleeping, minding there own business. In an interesting kind of way, they added to the flavor of the city because of their calmness. All of these dogs looked older and well taken care of, but yet they all appeared to be out there on their own. No owners, no leashes, but among the most well behaved dogs I have seen.

Thanks again for any information, and thanks too for all your wonderful advice about your amazing and beautiful city.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Curious about street dogs around Athens

Lol.. yes.. he rules;-)) He always goes right up front.. like you say, flags, uniformed guards, live band/music.. and there's the wonderful guy leading it all;-)) And yes again, GREAT video .. got lost there and was checking out a few others as well.. thanks for the link(s;-) Enjoyin'!

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Curious about street dogs around Athens

Hi,

Thank you for your posting about the dogs in Greece, very interesting. I'm headed there to do a mainland 10 day tour of Greece in Sept 2014 so I'll look out for the dogs. Last year I did a great tour of Turkey and it was the same...there were many many dogs and cats just roaming around and at the historical sites...they were all very well-behaved and looked well fed. In Turkey, our Tour Guide told us in the Islam religion, they especially favor cats as cats are halal..they are not considered dirty...so everyone feeds cats...but the dogs were very sweet and followed us around sometimes at the ancient ruins or slept in the shadows of ruins. I also asked a Turkish person and they said historically the cats and dogs kept the rodents at bay in the cities, so it was useful to have the dogs/cats around.

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
748 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Curious about street dogs around Athens

You actually don't have to look out for them.....you literally can't miss them. As someone who has just visited Athens for the first time and having posted the original question about them - it's almost as if you guys were keeping these dogs a secret not mentioning them here on tripadvisor.

Just to be clear these dogs seem very much at home, and seeing them sprawled out and sleeping shows how comfortable they are as it seems everyone in Athens is with them. Also, as an aside Athens is a very clean city as far as these dogs go. As smart as these dogs seem to be, I don't think they clean up their own business. So although the dogs are everywhere we didn't see that they left anything behind. Somehow I think that adds to the charm.

Edited: 28 May 2014, 23:08
24. Re: Curious about street dogs around Athens

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 May 2015, 05:15