We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Acropolis Museum Birthday, June 20th, 2014

Which Athens hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,525 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Acropolis Museum Birthday, June 20th, 2014

Yeap. 5 years already :-)

The Acropolis Museum has birthday on Friday, June 20th, 2014.

- Museum ( both restaurant and exhibition spaces ) will be open from 8am till midnight this day.

- Entrance fee will be reduced on this day: 3 euros for everyone.

- Moreover: it will be possible to see for the first time the results of the 3d rendering of one of the plates of the western frieze, full with virtual copper ornaments and test colors. This is a project running 2 years now and will deliver at the end a full 3d reproduction of the frieze.

- A small music show will take place 9.30pm in the entrance courtyard, free of charge. Leon of Athens will play music from their latest records: Future and Global. More here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lamg2dCVvD4

Acropolis Museum is celebrating and becomes better and better from year to year.

Edited: 06 June 2014, 08:06
United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
13,238 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Acropolis Museum Birthday, June 20th, 2014

Wish that here in UK we could send a birthday gift of marbles . . . .

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,525 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Acropolis Museum Birthday, June 20th, 2014

He he he "-)

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
13,238 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Acropolis Museum Birthday, June 20th, 2014

I knew that would make you smile!

;o))

But seriously! It really is about time that the stuff "borrowed" by Elgin was given back. The Greeks have more than proved they can look after these artefacts & display them in a fitting manner & it is to the UKs shame that we cannot be magnanimous enough to return the marbles to where they fit! Nothing the British Museum can do with them will ever be the equal of the Acropolis Musuem, where you can gaze across at the iconic Parthenon from the windows. Not sure what you can see out of a window at the BM that would make a fitting backdrop!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Acropolis Museum Birthday, June 20th, 2014

..so very well said tsipouro;-) Enjoy all!

Level Contributor
196 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Acropolis Museum Birthday, June 20th, 2014

γεια σας τσίπουρο

...must agree with you there

...having visited the Akropolis museum and having learnt of the history of the artifacts of the surrounding areas I do think that anything that originated here should be returned

The Akropolis museum is by far the most impressive museum that I've ever experienced (my other half took more pictures of the museum itself than he did of us sightseeing Athens!!!!!)

:) :) :)

Colorado
Level Contributor
253 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Acropolis Museum Birthday, June 20th, 2014

The Acropolis Museum is amazing-well planned, easily accessible, and very visitor friendly. It would be a great-and suitable-birthday present to the museum and the people of Greece to have the marbles returned.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Acropolis Museum Birthday, June 20th, 2014

.. beautiful thought hrtraveler:-) Although I'd hardly consider it a 'gift'.. they weren't borrowed.. just flat out stolen from the Greek people! The Museum certainly does show just how much WAS taken.. and couldn't agree more on how well laid out and visitor friendly it is.. I'm not a huge museum goer, but this place is #1 in my book.. magnificent;-) Keep enjoyin' all!

8. Re: Acropolis Museum Birthday, June 20th, 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 June 2015, 05:16