We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Early ferry from Piraeus

Antwerp, Belgium
3 posts
Save Topic
Early ferry from Piraeus

Hi everyone,

We will arrive in Athens on the 25th of June in the afternoon and take a ferry to Santorini the next morning at 7 a.m.

So my question is: do you recommend to stay in a hotel in Piraeus or is it better to stay in the centre of Athens? Are there buses or metros that early to go from the centre to the port?

Any recommendations for a cheap hotel/hostel in Athens?

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
23,179 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Early ferry from Piraeus

Hi,

If you are arriving late in the afternoon I would head directly to Piraeus which can be reached by X96 bus from the airport. Lots of hotels to choose from:

tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g189403-Piraeus_Pirae…

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
110 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Early ferry from Piraeus

early travel to Pireaus by taxi , bus etc is not a problem , however why not stay in Pireaus have a great dinner at Mikrolimano harbour then get up at a more leisurely time for your ferry.

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
1,902 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Early ferry from Piraeus

Hi celinaBE

I'm afraid I can't agree with the two previous posters about staying in Pireaus. I have always found it to be pretty seedy and grim and even grimmer at night. Much more evening dining options in Athens and no problem with hopping on the metro down to the port for 6am either. Yes less time in bed but no problem getting there early.

I usually stay at the Atalos near Monistraki but I have just looked and they are full for the night you want. Booking somewhere at short notice isn't going to get you a cheap room and your choices will be somewhat limited I imagine but do book somewhere rather than turning up on spec.

I presume you intend taking the Highspeed or Blue Star ferry at 0715 and 0725 respectively. The Highspeed price of €59 is a bit steep for me so I would take the Blue Star at €37.50 even though it takes 3 hours longer. It is a much more pleasant journey anyway and gets you to Thira just before 3pm where you will no doubt be met by plenty of folk offering you rooms. Enjoy.

Athens
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Early ferry from Piraeus

It takes half an hour to get from central Athens to the port by metro, and it's fairly easy. If you stay in Athens, you would suggest you (and everybody else) should avoid Omonia square and the surrounding area. I know most hotels are located there, but the area is probably the worst in Greece --a strange combination if you ask me.

Mentioned in this post
Greece
Greece
Europe
Antwerp, Belgium
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Early ferry from Piraeus

Thank you everyone for the replies! It really helped me. I am leaving tomorrow. So excited. :)

6. Re: Early ferry from Piraeus

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 June 2015, 05:19