We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry from Athens to Lesvos

Hawaii
Level Contributor
13 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Ferry from Athens to Lesvos

We are planning on taking an overnight ferry from Piraeus to Mytilene in September. We are hoping this will be romantic. is it? Does anyone have experience with Blue Star or Hellenic Seaways? Any advise? Inside vs. outside cabin? etc?

DHG
Boston
Level Contributor
457 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferry from Athens to Lesvos

Your best view will be in the early evening as you leave the Port of Piraeus. Otherwise at sea, you won't be able to see much at all so while an outside cabin might help you wake up a little bit better with the early morning light, it might not be worth the additional expense. I've taken the boat twice to Lesvos and I think that it's a fun and relaxing way to travel, but while the ship does has amenities, it's not a cruise ship with a lot of glitz and glamour, so you'll have to create your own romance! ;-) .

Hawaii
Level Contributor
13 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferry from Athens to Lesvos

any opinions on Blue Star vs Hellenic Seaways?

Hawaii
Level Contributor
13 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferry from Athens to Lesvos

Thank you. Which company did you sail with?

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,753 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferry from Athens to Lesvos

Both are good and reliable. I 'd pick any that fitted my travel plans.

- Hellenic departs Mo, We, Fri. Vessel: usually Ariadne, here: hellenicseaways.gr/index.php/…76-ariadni

- Blue Star departs Tu, Thu, Sat. Vessel Blue Star Patmos: www.bluestarferries.gr/site/content.asp…

Similar speeds and similar itinerary durations. The companies alternate day by day; as far as i know no Sunday departure. I tend to prefer Blue Star, their fleet is a bit newer, Hellenic Seaways is also very good though.

Both companies are good.

Edited: 12 June 2014, 10:31
Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,088 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Ferry from Athens to Lesvos

FLYING will cost the same,or maybe less and you won't waste 12 hours in a slow boat.

https:/…

Edited: 12 June 2014, 17:35
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ferry from Athens to Lesvos

Hey and welcome iotaiko:-) Koutras makes a good point here;-) I've flown into the isle a couple of times.. and last time took the overnight ferry back to Piraeus arriving in the morning;-) If you opt for the ferry, get yourselves a nice cabin for the journey;-) For flights, check www.olympicair.com/ www.aegeanair.com/ who have merged for flight schedules/prices;-) Have a wonderful.. romantic adventure.. and EnJOY!

7. Re: Ferry from Athens to Lesvos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 June 2015, 06:16