We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 days in Athens-Itinerary here

Singapore
Level Contributor
131 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
2 days in Athens-Itinerary here

Hi,

After almost 2 weeks of planning, i have finalised my tour and it includes 4 days in Greece. A couple travelling with a 8months old.

It can sound rushed, but we only get so few holidays, and I always try and make the most of it. The current plan is

Day 1: Arrive in Athens on a monday morning (11am), in late July. Check in. Perhaps go to Cape Sounion for the sunset. I was looking for afternoon/evening tours and this is what came up. Any other recommendations? Back in Athens, dinner, sleep.

Day 2: All day in Athens. Take a morning guided tour to the major sites. Half day left for the museums. Any other spots we can go to?

Day 3: Morning at leisure. In the afternoon, take the fast ferry to mykonos.

- Is this reasonable and doable or we are being too ambitious? I have all the tickets etc. decided, once I have confirmed it here, I will book everything.

- Also, any other places I should see or visit on Day 1, 2 or 3.

-Most convenient location for the hotel to do all this

- What is the best way to go to Mykonos. I do not want to spend 5 hours in a ferry, so is the fast ferry doable with a small baby. seasickness would sort of spoil things. I looked at flights, but the cheap ones are at 5 in the morning which are not very useful.

-I was thinking about rushing through the sites on Days 1 and 3 and going to delphi on day 2, but it seems too touristy to me. and too long a drive with a baby as well.

I'll post the mykonos question on that forum, but once we arrive on 23rd afternoon/evening, we'll stay there for 2 nights before flying out on 25th afternoon.

Many thanks for your advice.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
3,082 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 days in Athens-Itinerary here

flying to the island is the best to do,as for your plans in Athens see the link below

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g189400-i194-k3269…

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
4,850 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 days in Athens-Itinerary here

hi,i agree,with such short time,fly to mykonos and fly back to athens..,ferrys take for ever.

tickets here

http://en.aegeanair.com/

https://www.olympicair.com/en

another link for athens

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g189400-i194-k59…

Edited: 12 June 2014, 18:00
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 days in Athens-Itinerary here

Hey and welcome Ksing12:-) July can be very hot especially mid-day with the sun beating down! With an 11a arrival, by the time you go through formalities and get to hotel, you're most likely looking to arrive within an easy couple of hours or by around 1p.. so in order to stay out of the head, consider a Museum which is air conditioned?;-) Chances are the tour you are looking at will only include 1.. possibly the New Akropolis Museum.. or the Nat'l Archaeological Museum?;-) There are lots of wonderful ones to choose from.. including the smaller Benaki.. and close-by to there, even the smaller Cyladic Museum;-)

On your second evening, consider heading up to Lycabettus Hill via the funicular ride up (teleferik) for some spectacular views of the City as it lights up beneath you;-) There is also a snack bar up there for a drink or snack as well as formal restaurant.. I've always just grabbed a glass of wine up there while enjoying the view;-)

If you are not looking to spend hours on a ferry getting to Mykonos with an 8 month old.. consider the quick approx. 25 min flight offered by www.olympicair.com/ www.aegeanair.com/ who have since merged;-)

As far as hotel choices.. look for something central.. in the Syntagma Square, Plaka areas.. you don't mention a budget spread, but for starters, you can take a look at The Amalia and Arethusa Hotels which are smack central on/by the Square which is a major transport hub as well getting you from/to the airport;-) Happy planning.. and EnJOY!

Singapore
Level Contributor
131 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 days in Athens-Itinerary here

This is great. Thanks.

The only reason i was going to mykonos because i thought i could take the ferry and save some dollars. If that is not happening, might as well go to santorini which i have heard is a lot pretier.

Another ques: is it safe with a 9m old? O saw some posts about steep cliffs and small rooms, hence a bit worried.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 days in Athens-Itinerary here

Our pleasure Ksing12:-) As far as Santorini, you'll note that many caldera front/view properties have age limitations for security purposes;-) Yes, there are steep cliffs but there are also properties set back from the caldera and room vary in size.. certainly not all small.. you'll find an array of choices on the isle;-) Keep enjoyin'!

Singapore
Level Contributor
131 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 days in Athens-Itinerary here

Probably needs a new post om tge santorini thread. But what would you recommend in the range of say around 150 dollars a night? Quite a few hotels with 4 digit prices per night!!

If i am not getting the caldera view as you say, does it make a difference if its santorini or mykonos? Mykonos seems to be cheaper and from what i read, has actual beaches as well! If i were to pick one island for 2 nights, purely for its beauty, which onw woukd you pick. This planning a timetakin, but a lot of fun. T

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 days in Athens-Itinerary here

.. google for photos of Santorini beaches;-) If you're planning on more of a beach vaca, would go for Mykonos since the beaches of Santorini are more volcanic ash/grit reflecting the isle itself.. and super hot to walk on in July;-)

For beauty, well, Santorini is pretty unique there being a volcanic isle with it's dramatic caldera views.. but it looks like you're looking to stay down by the beach area?! Kamari, Perissa, Perivolos are beach areas.. the villages perched on high include Fira, Oia, Imerovigli, Firostephani.. you first need to nail *where* on the isle you're looking to stay;)

FWIW, each isle has it's own vibe and uniqueness.. would indeed post in each isles dedicated forum so those in the know can more easily find you and help out;-) Also good to post your budget spread in local currency.. the Euro .. as opposed to USD:-) Enjoyin'!

DHG
Boston
Level Contributor
457 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 days in Athens-Itinerary here

For Athens, I recommend the Plaka Hotel at approximately €125 (not dollars) per night. It is a well-situated, reasonably-priced hotel. There are cheaper hotels in the Plaka, ie. The Phaedra, but you might find The Plaka very accommodating and a good resource for ideas on things to do with a little one. They will hold your luggage upon arrival until your room is ready and your child might enjoy the little tourist train that runs nearby that also gives you an over-view of the ancient monument pedestrian area. (Please read my review of the Hotel Plaka for more detail.)

Litsa's right, Athens will be hot and you'll probably be tired so her advice to go to an air-conditioned museum your first afternoon is sound advice. The Benaki Museum is so interesting for art, costumes, and jewelry; the Cycladic Museum very pertinent to your island travels, the new Acropolis Museum is an interesting architectural wonder/collection, and the National Archeological Museum is the Grand Dame of them all! The choice really depends on your interests. I don't know that I'd travel all the way out to Sounion your first afternoon with the time limitation you have in the city. If you just want to relax at the end of the day, (or your child needs to nap) don't miss the Hotel Plaka's rooftop view of the illuminated Acropolis..

DHG
Boston
Level Contributor
457 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2 days in Athens-Itinerary here

Santorini is definitely more expensive than Mykonos; even in the cost of the airfare to get there. Unless you simply get a room in a house, I think that it'll be difficult to find a centrally located, Caldera-view room for $150/night. However, it is such a unique setting. Mykonos definitely has more child-friendly, gentle sand beaches, but as with Santorini you will find a lot of young people and some nudity. Unless you rent a car or take the bus, some beaches are accessed by boat; that might be a consideration when travelling with a very young child. Both islands are beautiful, quite popular, and indicative of the famous Cycladic architecture that adorns Greek advertisement. My advice would be to read a few guidebooks to determine which island best meets your interests; then you can figure out the details of transportation and lodging.

DHG
Boston
Level Contributor
457 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 2 days in Athens-Itinerary here

The most beautiful and unique of all? The cliff top villages of Fira, Oia, and the smaller villages of Imerovigli, and Firostephani.