We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train trip from Thessaloniki to Athens

Which Athens hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
13 reviews
Save Topic
Train trip from Thessaloniki to Athens

I have a friend who is flying out of Athens on the 2nd of July 2014. We want to get her on a train from Thessaloniki. Is it difficult to get from the train station in Athens to the airport?

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
3,082 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train trip from Thessaloniki to Athens

not at all,outside Larissis station in Athens is the red metro line,she-he needs to take it to Syntagma,change to the blue line dir airport,that's all,not all trains in the blue line are going to the airport. athensairporttaxi.com/en/busmetro_metro_en.h…

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train trip from Thessaloniki to Athens

Hey and welcome ShirleyValentine484:-) You may also want to check out flights?;-) SKG/ATH is a very popular run with loads of flights daily.. check www.olympicair.com/ www.aegeanair.com/ who have merged for the quick approx. 30 min flight! Best.. and EnJOY!

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
3,082 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train trip from Thessaloniki to Athens

yes,also ryanair flies really cheap from Thessaloniki to Athens,cheaper than the rail fare.

Quainton, United...
Level Contributor
7,721 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train trip from Thessaloniki to Athens

But before you fly - even if you're heading to the airport in Athens - remember that the Thessaloniki-Athens rail ride is a scenic wonder, worth doing in its own right.

Do it NOW, before they complete the new tunnels (and eventually cut journey time to 3.5 hours) as the line still heads through the mountains south of Larissa over the famous steel viaducts whose predecessors were blown up by New Zealand SOE agents and partisans in WW2. The line then descends a dramatic escarpment to the plain below. It's a fab ride.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train trip from Thessaloniki to Athens

Granted.. it is indeed a magnificent run;-) There are express trains that can do it now in about 4 hours.. never experienced those.. but have on numerous occasions taken the ones that take about 7+ hours;-) Been a while now since I usually just fly the route these day! Enjoy all!

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
3,082 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train trip from Thessaloniki to Athens

they never run in 4 hours,not even in 6,they are always late.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train trip from Thessaloniki to Athens

..lol! Thanks for that SyrosB937:-) I thought the express trains are *suppose* to do the run in about 4 hours, thereabouts.. then again, never tried it;-) I remember even the regular longer run that was suppose to take about 7 hours ended up around 9:-) Enjoyin'!

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,291 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train trip from Thessaloniki to Athens

I used to take the intercity trains in that route very often. I ve done it dozens of times and never had a delay. The trip was exactly 6.15 hours or 5.50 hours for the non-stop train. I think now there are even faster trains doing it in less than 5 hours but I m not sure since its been more than 10 years since my last time. The route has some scenic stretches but unless youre a rail enthusiast I d suggest to look for cheap air tickets.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,291 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train trip from Thessaloniki to Athens

I used to take the intercity trains in that route very often. I ve done it dozens of times and never had a delay. The trip was exactly 6.15 hours or 5.50 hours for the non-stop train. I think now there are even faster trains doing it in less than 5 hours but I m not sure since its been more than 10 years since my last time. The route has some scenic stretches but unless youre a rail enthusiast I d suggest to look for cheap air tickets.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,088 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Train trip from Thessaloniki to Athens

>The route has some scenic stretches but unless youre a rail enthusiast I d suggest to look for cheap air tickets.<

+1000