We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels in Athens

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
4 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Hotels in Athens

I am noticing that on this site (tripadvisor), a ton of hotels have a high rating. This leaves me with two questions: 1) Are all the hotels really that good? 2) Some 4-5 rated hotels are $120~, others are as low as $60~, why such a difference in price if the ratings are the same/so similar?

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
3,082 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotels in Athens

each hotel has its own pricing policy,if they are in the center in a safe area and close to the sites they charge more.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
4 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotels in Athens

I get that every hotel can set its own rates. I was just curious as to why such a wide range.

So it really is due to location. I guess I just figured location would factor into the overall rating from travelers too.

Thank you for answering.

concord nh
Level Contributor
3,192 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotels in Athens

When I look for accommodations I look for clean, safe and centrally located and that could fall into all kinds of budgets. If you want a big fancy room with all kinds of perks expect to pay more . . . if you want a small room with the basics expect to pay less, regardless of it's location. Obviously location will make a difference in price but it's also the size of the room, a balcony, a view, breakfast included, etc. We are not cheap but we are economical . . . we book our entire trips ourselves and we are more concerned with a clean, safe and centrally located budget accommodation rather than an over-the-top room where you will only be sleeping and freshening up in. Save your more for more important things . . . Greek food!

Edited: 10 July 2014, 18:41
United States
Level Contributor
177 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotels in Athens

We will be in Athens in October and just like everybody else, we will use it as our base. Can you please tell us which area is NOT a good area to stay in Athens? Can you please give us some tips as to what to avoid there to be safe.

We travel every year to Europe and thus far, we had a bad experience in the train station in Budapest (swindler) at the back of the Louvre in Paris (gypsy) although the guy in Budapest got only 10 Euros.

Thanks in advance.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
4,609 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotels in Athens

hi,the areas to avoid in athens are omonoia and metaxourgio,although they are just more dodgy than dangerous..there is no reason for you to go to these areas anyway,there are no touristic attractions there..good areas in the center to stay are plaka,syntagma,monastiraki akropolis..all served by metro stations and close to the sights..plaka is the best

some tips..

atms

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g189398-i192-k54…

pickpocketing

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g189400-i194-k5519…

flat taxi rate from the airport to the center

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g189400-i194-k4458…

Edited: 11 July 2014, 14:45
United States
Level Contributor
177 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotels in Athens

Hi! This is a very good info. I will list all these areas for safety.

Thank you for your great info.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotels in Athens

.. great post/links from athanasios m:-) As stated, stick with the hotels centrally located in mentioned areas.. they all merge at some point and lots pedestrianized as well;-) The area is packed with most of what you'll most likely want to see;-) You'll also be able to read reviews on prospective properties here as well to help out the decision making process;-) Enjoy all!

8. Re: Hotels in Athens

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 02:16