We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to Greece in nov14

Which Athens hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
49 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Trip to Greece in nov14

Hi, me and my mum intend to free and easy to Greece for about 14 days.

1)Our preference is not to drive. Is this feasible? What are the alternative transport?

2)We would like to sightsee, any advice on the sequence of islands to visit? I'm feeling quite overwhelmed. Is it better to take flights between islands?

3) is 14 days ok? I was hoping to also go to Istanbul for a few days

Tia

Windsor, United...
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
20,420 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip to Greece in nov14

Hi,

You can get around by bus (KTEL) so it isn't necessary to drive. It is possible to fly to the major islands but before any advice can be given you need to decide on exactly where you plan on going to in Greece.

DHG
Boston
Level Contributor
457 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip to Greece in nov14

There are so many islands from which to choose; no wonder you're feeling overwhelmed! With (14) days you will want to plan your time wisely. Assuming that you'd like to spend at least 2-3 days in Athens, it might be a good idea to concentrate on only one (or two at the most) island groups. Corfu (Ionian Islands) , Santorini, and Mykonos (Cycladic Islands) are very popular tourist destinations. Crete is also a popular island destination and one easily done from Santorini. In planning your itinerary, you'll need to decide if you want to take the cheaper, but longer ferry boat connections or the more expensive, but expedient flight connections. All of the Greek islands are about a 45-60 minute flight away from Athens. The ferry boats can take up to 8 hours; sometimes even overnight. The local bus system is more than adequate, so you don't need to worry about renting a car.

You mentioned Istanbul, so you'll have to fly out of Athens or take a bus, perhaps from the northern city of Thessaloniki. If you have your mind set on Istanbul, then there are some Northern Aegean Islands and the Kavalla peninsula, that would offer some good areas for vacationing. Would you be flying home from Istanbul?

Can you give us more information about the type of vacation you'd like to have ie. beaches, shopping, local cusine, museums, archaeological areas, etc.? That way, we can offer more specific suggestions.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
550 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip to Greece in nov14

I trust you aware that tourist facilities on most of the islands will be closed down for the winter in November? Not to say that you can't go, but many hotels, restaurants, bars and all beach facilities will be shut.

DHG
Boston
Level Contributor
457 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip to Greece in nov14

You also might be able to find a cruise that departs from Athens, stops at some Greek islands, and includes Istanbul, but I really don't recommend that because you'll hardly have any time to enjoy each destination. Most of your time will be at sea; experiencing nothing more than what the cruise has (or doesn't have) to offer. I know that planning can be a daunting task, but the rewards of independent travel are many - especially for a country like Greece that is just perfect for individual exploration.

London, United...
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip to Greece in nov14

Please check my travel diary on travelpod.com for some tips what is worth visiting in Greece, in just 4 days.

Happy Journeys!

…travelpod.com/travel-blog/…tpod.html

Kris

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
49 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip to Greece in nov14

Me and my mum would like to walk and explore..we are more into sightseeing than shopping and partying.

How about if we travel in early October?

Honestly, I hve been reading and reading on Greece and Istanbul and still no concrete plans.

DHG
Boston
Level Contributor
457 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip to Greece in nov14

Athens is a perfect city to just walk and explore; in fact it's the best way to see the city. You will find all the major historic sites all within, or very close to,the pedestrian area. There are some amazing museums, in addition to the new Acropolis Museum, that are easily accessed by the Metro. The weather would be better in October, but I would suggest the islands of Corfu and Crete that welcome visitors year round. The islands of Santorini and Mykonos do have more tavernas etc. that will close down after most of the tourists have left by October. Of these two islands, though, I'd suggest Santorini for it's archeological digs, villages, cliff walk, and unusual and sheer beauty. All of these islands have good local bus systems, but particularly in Crete, a huge island, I would plan to stay in Iraklio or the very pedestrian-friendly Old Port of Chania. Corfu Town is lovely; also a good walker's choice. If you do travel in late October/November just be aware that ferry boats can be affected by bad weather, so it's best to build some flexibility into your itinerary. The flights are more expensive, but more efficient - taking no more than 40-60 minutes to the islands. Iraklio and Santorini are also linked by direct boat. I hope this helps. Enjoy your research and as you proceed, keep those questions coming!

Washingon DC area
Level Contributor
1,727 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip to Greece in nov14

A couple years ago we had a decent itinerary that included Turkey and 3 islands. We flew in to Istanbul, where we spent 5 nights. From there we flew to Milos for 3 nights, ferried to Santorini for 2 nights and then on to Naxos for 4 nights. It was a good mix of islands, though we really didn't have enough time for Milos or Naxos. But we did get a nice overview of them.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,088 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip to Greece in nov14

>The flights are more expensive, but more efficient - taking no more than 40-60 minutes to the islands.<

If you book early and especially in the winter flights are cheaper than ferries,also there are definitely cheaper than ferries and buses if you are planing to visit Corfu or any other Ionian islands.

During the winter (yes late october & November are "winter" in Greece :):)) it will be wise to forget about the famous islands in the Cyclades (Myconos,Santorini) since they become ghost towns and head for large islands that have life all year round (Mytilini,Chios,Rhodes,Crete,Corfu etc)

Athens is also great in the winter and definitely you can do more sightseeing since the weather will not be so hot.

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
311 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip to Greece in nov14

We're including a cruise in our October trip. We'll have 8 nights in Athens, Delphi and Aegina, then the 7 night cruise and then 5 nights in Istanbul. The cruise gives us 5 days from 8am to 5pm at different locations -- including Rhodes, Mykonos and Ephesus -- and then one day cruising the Dardanelles before Istanbul. I hadn't thought about a cruise at first but I was finding the cost and the logistics of island hopping in between Athens and Istanbul to be a little overwhelming.

My suggestion to the OP is get some guide books from the library and get more of a feel for what you want to see.