We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"Athens Free Walking Tours" vs. "Athens Walking Tours"

Which Athens hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
2 posts
Save Topic
"Athens Free Walking Tours" vs. "Athens Walking Tours"

My husband and I are heading to Athens tomorrow (! Better start packing!) and I'm just teeing up final details. I have decided to book a walking tour and my choices are:

Athens Free Walking Tour - 3 hours - free

Athens Walking Tours - 5 hours - 54EUR each

I don't mind paying the 108EUR for both of us to do the Athens Walking Tour if it's better than the free one, but if they are basically the same I'd rather have the money in my pocket!

Which would you recommend?

UK
Level Contributor
368 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: "Athens Free Walking Tours" vs. "Athens Walking Tours"

The free tours are organised around your interests, you have to fill out a form a few weeks before your visit, listing your age and interests eg, history, architecture, gastronomy. They then match you with a guide. I'm assuming you may have left it too late to organise this, but why not enquire? If so, the walking tours get good reviews on here , so either way, you will have a good day!

2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: "Athens Free Walking Tours" vs. "Athens Walking Tours"

Hmm I didn't realize that I needed to fill out a form. Perhaps it IS too late. Mostly I didn't want to pay 108EUR for a tour I could get for free (+ tip, of course!). Thanks for your input!

I wonder if there is anyone on here who has done both tours and can offer an opinion....

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
4,440 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: "Athens Free Walking Tours" vs. "Athens Walking Tours"

h,first i would contact them both and see if they can arrange something at the last minute..it doesn't make sense for people to start recommending one or another if you can't use them anyway.

wish you luck and enjoy greece..

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
2,253 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: "Athens Free Walking Tours" vs. "Athens Walking Tours"

Basically it is with fee vs with tips Tours :-)

. athensfreewalkingtour.com/index.php/… .

The only Free Tour is this. tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g189400-d6… that Rln72 referred to ( . myathens.thisisathens.org/default.php… . )

Edited: 24 July 2014, 16:12
Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
2,253 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: "Athens Free Walking Tours" vs. "Athens Walking Tours"

Please ignore the link at the (Free. .Tour ) It was automatically generated

Edited: 24 July 2014, 16:15
Sacramento...
Level Contributor
440 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: "Athens Free Walking Tours" vs. "Athens Walking Tours"

I can vouch for Athens Free Walking Tour. "Australian George" was awesome, and we ended up giving him a 40 Euro gratuity. (We weren't planning on being that generous, but the other persons in our tour were very stingy, only giving him 2 euros each (for 3 persons).

BTW -- You don't need a reservation -- just show up at 10am in front of the YELLOW MAIL BOX that is right in front of the entrance to the New Acropolis Museum

George also provided us with the name & phone number of a very excellent Licenced Tour Guide for our visit to the Acropolis. Her information is embedded on a TA forum thread, will bump if you need it (or search for it yourself, its very easy)

We LOVED "This Is My Athens.org" So much so, that I established the listing and wrote the very first TA review. In just 4 months, they have 4 reviews. FIVE STARS.

"THIS IS MY ATHENS (dot ORG)" is really free. "Giannis" (pronounced "Yannis") would not accept even a bottle of wine that we offered him. He grudgingly let me buy him an espresso coffee, but said it was against the rules! He spent nearly FOUR HOURS with us. We wanted to adopt him and bring him home with us! LOL

You will have an awesome time. Save the $104 Euros and use it for your Acropolis visit with "Dora Mavromati, Licenced Tourist Guide ( $24 for 2 Acropolis Tickets + $75 for Dora The Exporer = $98 Euros)

Edited: 24 July 2014, 17:32
7. Re: "Athens Free Walking Tours" vs. "Athens Walking Tours"

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 July 2015, 06:16