We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

street food and in Athens

Haifa, Israel
Level Contributor
42 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
street food and in Athens

I will spend one day in Athens on September and I would like to know if there are close street food options around the syntagma square? I'm a student with a budget.

It's ok if you can give me name of streets because I use the maps of the Iphone.

Especially I would like to know about a nearby place for Souvlaki ;)

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
3,082 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: street food and in Athens

Syntagma down to Monastiraki is full of small shops selling cheese pies,spinach pies,sandwiches, there is a souvlaki shop next to McDonalds in Ermou street and many more in Mitropoleos street at Monastiraki sq,Everest shops sell good cappucino and esspreso for 1,30-2 euros.at Andrianou street next to Monastiraki metro station lots of tavernas,food is not expensive in Athens unless it's fish.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
22,561 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: street food and in Athens

On Syntagma Square you find Everest and McDonalds.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
919 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: street food and in Athens

Meatropoleos on the south side of Syntagma Square...you can get a stick (or a few) of souvlaki, pretty inexpensively. The souvlaki places near Monastiraki Sq. are historic but, IMO, not the best quality and a bit tourist-trappish.

There are everests, Grigoris/Coffee Right, and independent cafes which sell simple foods...cheese pies, toasted sandwiches, all over the place, so those are hard to miss. On Voulis St., a block or so west of Syndagma, is "Ariston", which has all sorts of varieties of savory pies. Not a place you can sit down but you can get one and eat it on the go.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: street food and in Athens

Meliartos (Ermou 65) is my recommendation for ice cream.

Not sure where the best souvlaki is, but I probably wouldn't go to that joint near McDonalds.

Will you be anywhere else in Greece? Perhaps have a souvlaki there and save Athens for ice cream, savoury pies, sweets etc?

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,088 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: street food and in Athens

>Not sure where the best souvlaki is<

The best souvlakis in central Athens are KOSTAS (Pentelis 5 & Mitropoleos str) very close to Syntagma sq (open from 9 am - 3 pm) and .....KOSTAS (another Kostas) at Ag.Irinis sq. 5 minute walk from Syntahma (9 am- 5pm) the absolute best is LEFTERIS (Satovriandou 20,OMONIA behind HONDOS not so close to Syntagma though), souvlaki row is further away in Monastiraki but operates 24/7 (decent but not the best souvlaki)

There are many other killer souvlaki palces but way of the tourist path (Pigipopoulo in Pagrati and Dionysos in Kipseli are worth visiting)

Edited: 03 August 2014, 15:13
Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,088 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: street food and in Athens

Also check ARISTON at VOULIS 10 for the absolutely (since 1910) best pies in town (1 minute walk from Syntagma station)

koolnews.gr/diaskedasi/…

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
4,975 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: street food and in Athens

keep in mind omonoia is a grim area,and it's suggested to avoid it..(safe during daytime,but still not the best)..nothing to do with the souvlaki shop suggested,just a side note.

Edited: 03 August 2014, 15:24
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: street food and in Athens

Hey and welcome Chen M:-) A popular (and literally *street food* from a cart) breakfast treat is a koulouri.. a circular crispy bread ring with sesame seeds.. as economical and tasty as it gets;-) There are at least 2 in the mornings at Syntagma Square area;-) Best.. and EnJOY!

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,088 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: street food and in Athens

Don't worry LEFTERIS is safe (of course you will go there before sunset anyhow since it closes down at around 5 pm)

lifo.gr/guide/cultureblogs/tasteblog/40868

we are talking about THE best souvlaki in Athens

New York, NY
Level Contributor
919 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: street food and in Athens

Since Hondos Center at Omonia Sq. was mentioned, here's another "cheapo" tip: buy anything at all from there, even a bar of chocolate from their candy section, and you can then take your receipt up to the 10th floor cafe and get a free frappe or filter coffee, with no additional purchase required. The cafe has quite a view of the Acropolis, Lycabettus Hill and other parts of Athens.

Edited: 03 August 2014, 18:44