We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Navigating within Acropolis - Athens

Which Athens hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
142 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Navigating within Acropolis - Athens

Hello All,

My Wife and I will be visiting Athens for a day and half and visiting Acropolis is the main place on our mind. Need your help to plan Acropolis visit so that we can save little time wandering around looking for directions and asking people and get to see other attractions of Athens.

As per my understanding from various TA's posts, our rough plan is:

Reach Acropolis very early (8am-ish) to beat the crowd on Saturday.

Metro stop: Acropolis

12 EURO for admission to the Acropolis, Ancient Agora, Theater of Dionysos, Karameikos Cemetery, Roman Forum, Tower of the Winds, and Temple of Olympian Zeus.

Question:

1. How far is the main entrance and ticket counter from Metro Station. Is that any specific metro gate we should be coming out?

2. What should be the correct itinerary to visit all the above listed place once we get in. Are the directions within very clear to navigate on our own to all the places.

3. How long will it take to cover all above places if we walk at average pace and make short photo stop.

Thanks

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
3,082 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Navigating within Acropolis - Athens

Exit to Acropolis is on your way out of the metro station,all sites are close to eachother,if you have a good map and mark them all it won't worry you,from the metro station is about 10-15 minutes to the Acropolis,the area is pedestrianized,if you have time visit the top of Filopappos hill,it is opposit Acropolis,you wii get the best photos ever and get to see the vast city and the Saronic gulf on a clear day.

Edited: 05 August 2014, 12:08
Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
20,682 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Navigating within Acropolis - Athens

Here you can get an overview of the Acropolis area:

http://tinyurl.com/czdx56

London, United...
Level Contributor
142 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Navigating within Acropolis - Athens

Also, I will be reaching Athens airport at around 5:30pm and will take metro to reach Hotel. Lets say we freshen up by 9pm, Is there something we can do/see for couple of hours that day? Will visiting Mount Lycabettus be very late for the day.

I am staying near metro station Larisis.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
20,682 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Navigating within Acropolis - Athens

Lycabettus at night

http://tinyurl.com/42wgc54

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
102 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Navigating within Acropolis - Athens

Hi Rahul.

The following may be of interest:

routeyou.com/en-ie/route/view/393693/walking…

gpsmycity.com/tours/walking-tour-around-the-…

Have a great time in Athens.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
102 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Navigating within Acropolis - Athens

Hi Rahul.

The following may be of interest:

routeyou.com/en-ie/route/view/393693/walking…

gpsmycity.com/tours/walking-tour-around-the-…

Have a great time in Athens.

London, United...
Level Contributor
15,877 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Navigating within Acropolis - Athens

The main sites are close together, as has already been said, but some of them need more time than others, especially the Ancient Agora and the Kerameikos, which are both large, complex sites with worthwhile museums. The Kerameikos is the most interesting site in Athens, apart from the Acropolis, and grows on you.

I would advise not rushing either of these, or the Acropolis, or the Theatre of Dionysus. The others won't take very much time, but you might have to miss one or two out.

Perhaps you can make some time for the Acropolis Museum. Alas, with so short a visit, you won't have time for the National Archaeological Museum.

8. Re: Navigating within Acropolis - Athens

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 August 2015, 05:17