We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus/Metro tickets: Airport->Omonia and Piraeus

Hants UK
Level Contributor
221 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Bus/Metro tickets: Airport->Omonia and Piraeus

A quick question about bus and metro tickets in Athens. I will be arriving at Athens airport late afternoon and need to get to my hotel which is just off Omonia Square, go out later that evening, then get down to Pireaus the following morning.

I vaguely recall it was possible to purchase a ticket for around €4-5 which allows unlimited travel on metro and buses for up to 24 hours after validation. Is this still available?

Also, if a 24-hour ticket does exist, does this also include use on the X95 bus from the Airport to Syntagma or will I need to purchase a separate ticket for that journey?

Many thanks

Dave

City Sightseeing Athens, Piraeus...
673 reviews
from US$25.00*
Special Offer
Athens Super Saver: City Sightseeing...
39 reviews
from US$239.90*
US$291.50
Special Offer
Athens Super Saver: Athens...
35 reviews
from US$189.20*
US$230.20
Special Offer
Athens Super Saver: City Sightseeing...
9 reviews
from US$239.90*
US$300.30
Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,088 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus/Metro tickets: Airport->Omonia and Piraeus

www.oasa.gr/content.php?id=tickets&lang=en

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
3,082 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus/Metro tickets: Airport->Omonia and Piraeus

24hour ticket does not cover the airport to city transportation,you need 8 euros for this or 7 each if it's two of you,this will get you to Omonia,next morning you need a 1.40 ticket to Piraeus.

Edited: 10 August 2014, 08:36
Lindesnes...
Destination Expert
for Southern Norway, Cyclades
Level Contributor
4,800 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus/Metro tickets: Airport->Omonia and Piraeus

X95 bus from airport to Syntagma. Buy the tickets in the kiosk outside arrivals hall. 5 euro per person.

Lately I have chosen to stay the night in Pireus. It is is much easier when you are sailing with one of the morning ferries. Pireus is also a pleasant town for an evening meal.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
3,082 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus/Metro tickets: Airport->Omonia and Piraeus

Taking the express bus to Syntagma the OP will have to buy a metro ticket to Omonia adding up it will cost him 5+1.40 a total of 6.40 not much difference.Or another option will be to walk to Omonia,not really a good idea with luggage.

Edited: 10 August 2014, 09:35
Hants UK
Level Contributor
221 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus/Metro tickets: Airport->Omonia and Piraeus

Many thanks all. That answers my question nicely!

I now need to work out if we will be better off getting a 24 hour ticket when we get to Syntagma or individual trips.

As we are likely to do (1) Syntagma to Larissa station on arrival, (2) Larissa to somewhere in town that evening, (3) back to the hotel later and (4) Larissa to Pireaus the following morning, that appears to be 4 trips so a €4 integrated 24-hour ticket will be cheaper than 4x€1.20 individual trips.

I also see on the oasa website that it says children up to the age of 6 travel free. Does that mean my 6-year old does not need a ticket? My wife and I interpret this differently.

Many thanks again.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,088 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Bus/Metro tickets: Airport->Omonia and Piraeus

>will be cheaper than 4x€1.20 individual trips.<

read the link again,metro costs 1.40 not 1.20 also it is not Larissa station but LARISSIS station (LARISSA is a city 400 kilometers to the north of Athens)

Your child does not have to pay (children over 7 pay half price)

Hants UK
Level Contributor
221 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bus/Metro tickets: Airport->Omonia and Piraeus

Many thanks again.

I initially read it as €1.20 for a single trip, and €1.40 for multiple trips up to 90 minutes, but I see that's the bus/trolley only.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
3,082 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bus/Metro tickets: Airport->Omonia and Piraeus

prices will change soon,and time limit will be shorter,at the time metro ticket is 1.40 valid for 90 minutes bus ticket 1.20 for each trip.

Using the 1.40 ticket you can move from a metro trip to a bus in the 90 minute period.

Edited: 10 August 2014, 19:42
9. Re: Bus/Metro tickets: Airport->Omonia and Piraeus

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2015, 06:16