We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

US passport requirements

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,284 posts
187 reviews
Save Topic
US passport requirements

On the US department of state website, it says that your passport must be valid for 3 months more than your intended departure from a Schengen country. It also says that some countries count the full 3 months that are allowed without a visa, regardless of your intended departure, so you really need 6 months!

Does anyone know how Greece handles it specifically? Is it 3 months from the date on your reserved departure flight or 3 months after the 3 month allowable stay (6 months)?

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,284 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: US passport requirements

nevermind - our travel companions have 6 months left! Whew!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: US passport requirements

You're good to go;-) Enjoy!

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,284 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: US passport requirements

Thanks! I am getting very excited....29 days to go!

We had checked before and the website says 3 months, but i just read an article about people needing 6, so I checked again and it looks like some of the countries need 6 months, but it doesn't say which ones. On the surface it looks like 3 months, but because of how they count it, it ends up being 6 months.

Anyway - I contacted our travel partners and they have 6 months, so they are good! I am glad to avert a big issue!

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
53 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: US passport requirements

It would still be nice if someone had the answer, for it is relevant for others (like myself).

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: US passport requirements

.. for Greece, it is indeed 3 months.. like for many of the European Countries;-) Your passport needs to be valid 90 days out from your departure date! Thing is, the carrier won't let you board anyway if it's not! A friend of mine had that experience a number of years ago.. he had 89 days left on his passport and was not allowed to board the flight to Athens.. last minute running around here in NYC for express renewal;-) Keep Enjoyin' all!

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,284 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: US passport requirements

OMG - that would be horrible to have to deal with at the last minute. I am glad they use 90 days after your departure date and not count from the standard 90 days required without a visa date.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: US passport requirements

..Yeah, it was a pretty harrowing experience for them.. he was with 2 others.. flew in to JFK for the trans and was stopped there! I was waiting for them in Santorini, lol!! Nonetheless, they arrived a couple of days later.. all went well;-)

As far as visa, no clue and non needed for Greece/Europe with American passport.. only time I remember getting one here in States in advance in my passport was way back for travel to Egypt.. from Athens;-) Keep Enjoyin' all!

8. Re: US passport requirements

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2015, 07:16