We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Narrow flight changeover time @Athens airport -- plz advice!

Which Athens hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Darmstadt, Germany
Level Contributor
123 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Narrow flight changeover time @Athens airport -- plz advice!

Hi all,

My Aegean Airlines flight from Santorini will land at Athens El. Venizelos airport at 12:30 hours.

There after I must take another Aegean Airlines flight from Athens El. Venizelos airport at 13:20 hours. It is worth mentioning that we'll not have any checked-in luggage (just 7/8 kg cabin baggage).

Please advice me if there is any risk in this changeover. Since I will be taking the same airlines, I hope the change-over will not be a big problem.

Please share if anyone thinks otherwise or has a different opinion.

Thanks,

dpaul

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
1,870 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Narrow flight changeover time @Athens airport -- plz advice!

Athens airport is easy to negotiate and flying both legs with Aegean should help assuming the flight into Athens is on time. However it is too tight for my liking and I would be inclined to have a word with Aegean to see if there is an earlier flight from Santorini they can switch you to or a later one, presumably back to Germany, they can move you to. If all else fails speak to the crew on the Athens flight and explain your problem to them so they can advise you the best way they can. Good luck because you might need it!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Narrow flight changeover time @Athens airport -- plz advice!

Hey and welcome dpaul:-) Were this on a (one) through ticket, you would be covered.. appears you booked 2 separate tickets so can certainly be an issue even with a slight delay considering the gate for your onward flight will most likely close about 20-30 minutes prior to scheduled take-off!

I agree to contact Aegean now.. give them a call and see if they can move you to an earlier flight from Santorini.. this is way too close for comfort especially dealing with 2 separate tickets regardless of no luggage.. in which case I'd say practically impossible if delayed!

The airport is indeed modern and super user-friendly.. all under 1 roof or terminal building.. you can check it out at www.aia.gr/ ..but as easily maneuverable as it is.. it's cutting it way too close for comfort IMO:-) Best.. and EnJOY!

Darmstadt, Germany
Level Contributor
123 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Narrow flight changeover time @Athens airport -- plz advice!

Thank you peterdh & litsa!

I will send out a mail tomorrow to Aegean Airlines.

Edited: 13 August 2014, 21:36
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Narrow flight changeover time @Athens airport -- plz advice!

Our pleasure:-) Let us know how it goes;-) Keep us posted.. keep Enjoyin'!

Darmstadt, Germany
Level Contributor
123 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Narrow flight changeover time @Athens airport -- plz advice!

This is what Athens airport customer support told me via email:

Regarding your inquiry, kindly be advised that at Athens International Airport the minimum connecting time from a domestic flight to an international (Extra Schengen) flight is 45 minutes and from a domestic flight to a domestic/ Intra Schengen flight is 40 minutes.

However, minimum connecting times only apply to reservations which include all flight journeys and baggage is checked through to the final destination. They do not apply to individual reservations, or when baggage delivery is required at Athens Airport. In that case, extra time should be considered for the arrival and departure procedures.

There is no response from Aegean airlines. I have already mailed them twice.

6. Re: Narrow flight changeover time @Athens airport -- plz advice!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 August 2015, 05:17