We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it VERY hot in Athens now a days?

London, United...
Level Contributor
67 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Is it VERY hot in Athens now a days?

Hi

I was planning a 2 days trip to Athens and was wondering if its too hot to travel around in Athens and little beyond? Can someone suggest if this is not the right time for such a trip or the heat is manageable

Crete
Level Contributor
566 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it VERY hot in Athens now a days?

Just look up a weather forecast & it'll tell you how hot it is.

It's 33 deg C at the moment (1pm Greek time)in Athens & just a bit hotter here in Crete. Before we lived here, we always used to come to Crete on holiday in August & had no problems. Living here is different, because you have to do ordinary things e.g. shopping, housework etc. & it can get a bit wearing.

Nobody can tell you weather it's manageable for you or not. If you're not sure that you can manage the heat of August, then leave it until September when it's cooled down a bit.

Having said all that, however, it's only a 2 day trip & you should be OK provided that you wear a hat & sun screen & don't sit in the sun for too long.

Have a nice trip

Markopoulo
Level Contributor
1,049 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it VERY hot in Athens now a days?

Right now, in this exact moment, it's VERY hot in Athens, like 'the hottest day of summer' hot.

It will be like that for the next two days and then it'll change as the 'meltemi' wind will start for the season.

For a very detailed and mostly reliable forecast go to www.meteo.gr, click ΑΤΤΙΚΗ and then AΘΗΝΑ-ΚΕΝΤΡΟ.

Just remember that when there is no wind it feels waaay hotter than what the forcast says.

Wexford, Ireland
Level Contributor
7 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it VERY hot in Athens now a days?

Hi

I will be in Athens for the first week in September and am wondering about how chilly it gets at night. Would a cardigan suffice with a summer dress or are warmer clothes required?

Thank you

Delphi,Greece
Destination Expert
for Delphi
Level Contributor
6,159 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it VERY hot in Athens now a days?

Been from Ireland I doupt you will even need this cardigan Shar981 unless there is an unusually chilly night : )

Markopoulo
Level Contributor
1,049 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it VERY hot in Athens now a days?

There is a great probability that the first week of September will be as hot as the summer months.

It could easily be hotter than the second half of August if the meltemi stops. So you'll probably won't need that cardigan!

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
10,177 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it VERY hot in Athens now a days?

Yes, definitely hot at the moment!

10.20pm & it's 29C, had to come out to a local cafe on the corner that always manages to catch a slight breeze just to cool down a bit!

The temps should drop a bit in a couple of days, hope so for overnight temps anyway, I need some decent sleep. I don't have aircon at home :(

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,088 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it VERY hot in Athens now a days?

This was one of the coolest summer in the history of Greece so don't worry we've had lots of rain and only a few days of real heat,bear in mind that Athens has a DRY climate so even if the temperature is high you won't feel it as much as you will in a humid city like London or Paris or Berlin...just keep out of direct sun and wear a hat,avoid sodas and alcohol and drink plenty of water and you will be fine.

Edited: 15 August 2014, 21:59
Wexford, Ireland
Level Contributor
7 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it VERY hot in Athens now a days?

Thank you to everyone who replied.

Really looking forward to trip, it's a place I have wanted to visit since a junior school teacher taught us about the city

DHG
Boston
Level Contributor
468 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it VERY hot in Athens now a days?

Pack a very lightweight cardigan to layer - no Aran sweater needed! ;-) - and a light fold-up "windbreaker" nylon rain jacket, but I seriously doubt you'll need either one unless there's some unsettled weather. Definitely bring sunscreen and a hat if you need protection from the sun. Have a wonderful time!!

10. Re: Is it VERY hot in Athens now a days?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2015, 05:17