We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does Athens have the equivalent of the Trastevere?

sonoma, ca
Level Contributor
136 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Does Athens have the equivalent of the Trastevere?

Looking for an area in Athens that is full of great restaurants where the locals go....full of family run places. Does Athens have a neighborhood like this?

Thanks!

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,088 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Does Athens have the equivalent of the Trastevere?

No it doesn't.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,166 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Does Athens have the equivalent of the Trastevere?

Most of the central areas of Athens have good restaurants, many of them family run, where those who live there go to eat: Psyrri, Monastiraki, Thissio, Makriyanni, Kolonaki, Ano Petralona (even Plaka, to some degree, though there you'll probably find mainly tourists). Of course, tourists go to the restaurants in these areas too, just like in the Trastavere. If you don't like being around your fellow tourists, you'll have to venture further afield in the city, and into the suburbs.

Edited: 16 August 2014, 08:06
Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,088 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Does Athens have the equivalent of the Trastevere?

99% of the Athenians live outside the historical center, where the tourist path is,so most of the really good restaurants are located far away from it (this does not mean that there aren't good restaurants in the historical center but the killer ones are not there)

sonoma, ca
Level Contributor
136 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Does Athens have the equivalent of the Trastevere?

Thanks! So where are the killer places and I don't mean "goumet" but farm to table, SLOW food simply prepared.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,088 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Does Athens have the equivalent of the Trastevere?

> farm to table<

In ATHENS ? Nowhere...:):) you should go to the villages and remote islands for that..:):)

Still type "food" or "restaurants" or tavernas in the search box and many suggestions for good food will come up.

Edited: 17 August 2014, 07:43
concord nh
Level Contributor
3,251 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Does Athens have the equivalent of the Trastevere?

I think Psiri would be a good choice. It's not in the main tourist zone like the Plaka and has more of an edge to it. Nice tavernas, shops and narrow lanes to explore. I stay at the Attalos Hotel and Psiri is right behind it. Psiri is one of my favorite areas to eat at.

Washingon DC area
Level Contributor
1,776 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Does Athens have the equivalent of the Trastevere?

I have to respectfully disagree with koutras on one point. I have found outstanding "farm to table" restaurants in some of the more popular islands like Crete, Naxos, Milos and Lesvos. And a lot of those tavernas that don't get their food from farms that they own buy locally and are truly excellent. I've been told by one owner that he can tell the difference between lambs he buys that have been raised near the coast as opposed to those that graze a couple hundred meters up in the hills. I'm sure I couldn't, but I can definitely taste the difference between Greek lamb whose diets are based on wild herbs and some salt water, and the chops I buy at home.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Does Athens have the equivalent of the Trastevere?

..I think the term can be confusing for some since *farm to table* is popular here in Manhattan and we're nowhere near a farm, lol;-)) It basically means seasonal, fresh/organic fare bought from a farm (which can be a distance) and cooked to order at a restaurant known for more locally produced fare;-) Am thinking koutrras may have thought literally *farm to table* in Athens proper.. a term used often enough here in the States .. no clue if used at all in Greece since most fare is indeed farm to table.. most especially on the isles;-) Enjoy all!

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,166 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Does Athens have the equivalent of the Trastevere?

I agree with Litsa: this is a problem of communication.

Most of the good, small restaurants in the above-mentioned central areas will serve meat that has come, probably that morning, from the central market in Athinas Street, and it will have come to the market from the farms on which it was raised; similarly the fresh fish will have been brought to the market as quickly as possible after it was caught. The vegetables will probably have come from the central vegetable market, or from one of the neighbourhood markets.

So it's not stretching a point to say that you'll get "farm to table" food in Athens.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,088 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Does Athens have the equivalent of the Trastevere?

99% of veal & beef,50% of chicken & 60% of pork are imported from France,Denmark & various other countries so the chance of having "Greek" meat are slim in Athens,still most of the vegetables,cheese and olive oil are local and fresh.Fish is also local most of the times (especially smaller fish) .

The "traditional" GYROS at 90% of the souvlaki places is imported frozen from Germany :):):):)

Edited: 19 August 2014, 13:22