We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stay in Mykonos or explore Athens?

Melbourne, Australia
2 posts
Save Topic
Stay in Mykonos or explore Athens?

Hi there!

My flight home departs from Athens at 7.15pm on a Sunday and I will be coming into Athens from Mykonos earlier that day. I have 2 options:

1. Take the ferry from Mykonos at 1.35pm and arrive in Rafina at 3.40pm. Will this give me enough time to travel to Athens Airport in time to catch my flight? What is the best way of travel?

2. Take the 6.50am flight from Mykonos, arriving in Athens at 7.25am which gives me some time to possibly head out and explore some parts of Athens. What are the best options of travel to top tourist spots?

Is it better to stay a few more hours in Mykonos, rather than get into Athens early? Keep in mind I will be travelling solo and the less hassle the better. What are your recommendations?

Many thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Mykonos
Mykonos
Cyclades, Greece
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
13,500 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stay in Mykonos or explore Athens?

Hi,

1. That's cutting it too fine, in my rather cautious view, it's 15:40 or 16:40 in theory but it's the Superjet which tends to run late so add 2 hours, or if you take the Theologos add 1 hour.

So a realistic arrival time in Rafina is around 17:40.

Using the ferry to Rafina or Piraeus really means going the day before.

Option 2. is rather tiring trying to pack things in on a departure day much easier to book some nights in Athens then the ferry/flight to Piraeus/Athens.

Difficult not knowing an overall plan what is possible with less hassle.

Mentioned in this post
Piraeus
Piraeus
Piraeus Region, Greece
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
2. Re: Stay in Mykonos or explore Athens?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2015, 05:17