We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Acropolis/Agora Tours

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Acropolis/Agora Tours

I've checked the Athens Walking Tours info but we'd rather skip the 'walk through Plaka' part and have a more complex tour of the entire Acropolis site including the Agora/Parthenon areas....has anybody come across another way to get a guided tour? We're coming in early October and there's only 2 of us so a private tour would probably be too expensive. Thanks!

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,285 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Acropolis/Agora Tours

We have a booking with go tours as part of a group.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
22,042 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Acropolis/Agora Tours

Also look up this option - they get very good reviews:

http://www.athens-walks.com/

Edited: 03 September 2014, 19:42
London, United...
Level Contributor
17,708 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Acropolis/Agora Tours

http://www.athens-walks.com/ will tailor a tour to your interests and requirements. Their tours are more expensive than the larger group tours, but it might be worth the difference if you can get what you want; and they are very knowledgeable.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
108 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Acropolis/Agora Tours

Hi Lenny.

Here's some info which was posted in this forum earlier this year. I've copied and pasted the info, as I don't know how to insert a link to a previous thread!

• Dora Mavrommati, Licenced Tourist Guide

(certified in both English and German languages)

M.SC. Archeological Computing; PHD Researcher at National Kapodistrian University of Athens

Phone number (+30) 6946 899 300

E-mail: mavrom.dor@gmail.com

We paid 75 Euros for a 2-hour tour for 2 persons, not including the Acropolis Ticket.

• Association of Licensed Tourist Guides . http://tourist-guides.gr/en.aspx 

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Acropolis/Agora Tours

Hi Lenny..As a true Athenian my suggestion to you is to get loose yourself in the alleys of athens.Just walk,feel and sense what this city has to say.

If you are a real traveler you will understand as soon as you arrive what im talking about.

Since you arrive in octomber my suggestion is to have a first contact with a local from the airport.Services like uber and lyft havent reach greece ,but here we have a new service called http://www.welcomepickups.com/ with fixed price (as i see in the website its 35euros) and you have your personal local-friend to welcome you from the airport till your desired destination.Very cheap compare to the other car transportation choices this city has to offer and unique.Anyway hope to enjoy your trip to athens and dont hesitate to ask more questios here in tripadvisor during your trip..

Edited: 05 September 2014, 00:46
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Acropolis/Agora Tours

Thanks so much everyone, will look into all of these options....

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
461 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Acropolis/Agora Tours

+1 for Dora The Explorer (above).

We did the Atherns Free Walking Tour first -- to get our bearings. Then the next day we had our private tour of the Acropolis with Dora.

concord nh
Level Contributor
3,422 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Acropolis/Agora Tours

I think the best way to see Athens and the Acropolis/agora is to do-it-yourself. There are numerous guide books and websites that will help you to see what most people go to Athens for. It is less expensive and you are on your own pace so you can stop and linger at all the amazing sites to see. In addition you can also take some out-of-the-way street or alley and discover more of the real Athens such as Anafiotika (the Greek "Island") on the north side of the Acropolis. Nothing wrong with a guided tour but you get to see and experience a lot more when you are on your own and take a wrong street or get lost and discover what and where most tourist don't experience

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
461 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Acropolis/Agora Tours

I respectfully disagree with crazyH (above) ---

My college major was Cultural Anthropology and I took a lot of Archeology courses during that time.

Of course since that was 30+ years ago, it was helpful to get a "refresher course" from a Licenced Tour Guide with a PHD in Archeology!

Our private tour with Dora was one of the highlights of our 8 days/nights in Athens. It was our only splurge and we did the entire trip on a DIY basis.

Note that we also took advantage of two excellent FREE tours:

Athens Free Walking Tour

This Is My Athens

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Acropolis/Agora Tours

Again, thank you all for your help. We will be doing a lot of wandering/exploring on our own while in Greece but are delighted to say that we have successfully booked Dora for an expert guided tour of the Acropolis. As an avid history buff I've found it makes a trip exceptional to have a true historian take us through an ancient site.

Again, thank you all! So excited about our trip :)