We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Archeological museum - feeling sick?

London
Level Contributor
938 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Archeological museum - feeling sick?

This is a strange question but I wondered if anyone else had been to the archeological museum and had ended up feeling sick.

My partner and I went there last week and after being inside for about 15 minutes I started feeling dizzy and like the floor was giving way when I was walking. I didn't say anything as I thought I just must have been tired but then my partner said that he was feeling sick as well. Walking around we noticed other people looking poorly and taking every opportunity to sit down.

We thought perhaps that the museum puts air with a high level of oxygen through their aircon to preserve the statues or something, we actually had to leave because we felt so bad.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Archeological museum - feeling sick?

I experienced what you are describing at the Museum in Cairo, Egypt....figured it was just the running around combined w/ the awesomeness of the place!....Does kinda take your breath away! Trust you at least enjoyed what you managed to see!

Mentioned in this post
Cairo
Cairo
Cairo Governorate, Egypt
Belgium
Level Contributor
1,359 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Archeological museum - feeling sick?

The National Archeological Museum is just what it is, a museum, not a hospital. Therefore, the air-conditioning doesn't do anything else but cool the air.

They dizziness you experienced is not very uncommon although it doesn’t affect most people. It is caused by a combination of factors:

1. high outside temperature and your body not being used to it.

2. low humidity

3. low blood sugar level because of point 1.

It is a light shock effect of the body to its cooling down a little quicker than normal by, for instance, air-conditioning or drinking really cold drinks fast when in a warm environment. The major factor is your blood sugar level, not the air in the (a) museum. This level can go down because of an extra burn of energy which happens faster is a warm environment, especially when your body is not used to it. You won’t find many Athenians who experienced the same you did.

Once you know your body is sensitive to this effect, it is easy to avoid it by drinking beverages that contain sugar, like cola (not the light version), eating some sweets, or anything else that contains sugar. You can also buy glucose tablets at a pharmacy and put one in your mouth whenever you start feeling dizzy or lightheaded. Glucose gets in your blood stream very quickly and you should feel good again within a few minutes.

3. Re: Archeological museum - feeling sick?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2009, 06:25