We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving in Greece

FT Lauderdale, FL
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Driving in Greece

We rented a car for our drive from Athens to Gythio on 4/30/05. Could someone help with advice on how to obtain a road map. thanks

Hanover, Germany
Level Contributor
1,277 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving in Greece

I think Amazon.com sells them, try the search option with 'maps' and 'greece'.

Athens
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving in Greece

The road from Athens to Gythio is pretty straightforward. Rather than get the map online I'd get one from the car hire place or a local shop/hotel/kiosk in Athens so you'll be able to look it over and comare it with others first.

If you're going to do much driving I'd go for the spiral bound Road Atlas.

Old Forge, New York
Destination Expert
for Old Forge, Utica
Level Contributor
2,306 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving in Greece

The most difficult part is gettiing out of Athens. Make sure your rental agency gives you excellent diredtion to get to the National Road..then its fairly easy...Athens to Corinth, Corinith to Nauplion, Nauplion to Sparta, Sparta to Githion..the road is a bit tricky between Tripoli and Sparta (beautiful but lots and lots

of hairpin turns) but from Sparta its a breeze..My humble advice..be very discerning about the car you rent...double check the brakes, make sure it is not too small of an engine (I prefer standard transmission in Greece..more control) yet not too large for the narrow roads. When in this neck of the woods, make sure you check out Aeropolis, the Caves of Dirou, and Monemvasia..do not miss Mistras (outside Sparta)..if you need a break in Sparta, there is a neat little Museum of the Olive and

Greek Olive Oil...quick fun and informative. You will find real "Greekness" in Laconia and the Mani..We love it there, the people are just wonderful, the vistas sublime.

Athens
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving in Greece

To add to johnnieb's comments, don't forget to take plenty of small change for the tolls on the National Roads. I think it's about E 10 each way.

London, England
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving in Greece

Just to say be extra careful about the car you rent- they can be quite dodgy sometimes. Also be aware of Greek driving - and Greek roads - both leave a lot to be desired...

Having said all this this is an absolutely great area of Greece- Gytheio is gorgeous and the people are amazingly friendly.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
477 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving in Greece

There is a website www.viamichelin.com that gives driving directions to most of towns in Greece. I found it after our trip last year to Greece, but from what I've read and compared to what I remember, it seems pretty accurate. One thing we found though, the English alphabet signs were quite often posted RIGHT at your exit. Try to recognize your destination names in the Greek Alphabet so you are prepared!

One thing about Greece, even when you make a wrong turn, there will be something there to make you glad you did! We got lost almost every day, and loved every minute of it!