We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry Tickets to Greek Islands

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
174 posts
157 reviews
Save Topic
Ferry Tickets to Greek Islands

Hi everyone

I am planning my trip which will include 7 days to Mykonos, Santorini and Crete. Have been told I can book the ferry tickets online and have found a company called Piraeus Travel that provides online booking in advance with option to collect tickets from their office in Athens.

Need your advice to be assured that this is a reliable and trustworthy travel agency that can handle my online booking.

Am being extra careful here as I have heard stories of online sites that are scam and after payments have been made, the address for collection are fake resulting in loss of money and time.

Grateful for any confirmation on the validity of this company please.

Thank you very much. Michael

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
2,469 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferry Tickets to Greek Islands

Hi Michael

Why not save yourself the worry & just buy your tickets when you need them. There are several ticket agencies at each of the ports you mention & at this time of the years you will have no problems with ferries being full.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferry Tickets to Greek Islands

Depending on when you travel, it might be better to buy your tickets in Greece.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
174 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferry Tickets to Greek Islands

Tks for your advice. I have been told that the Blue Star ferries are huge and should not be any problem.

What about Sea Jets' Superjet? Are these equally large ferries such that I need not worry about having to made advance online booking?

Grateful for your advice please and thank you, Michael

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferry Tickets to Greek Islands

You don't seem to want to say when you travel, and without this information it's impossible to give you a definitive answer. The superjet is much smaller than Blue Star, different type of vessel entirely.

The advice remains the same. You should be fine to book once in Greece.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
13,391 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ferry Tickets to Greek Islands

As you seem to be going 17-24 October this year then simply buy ferry tickets in the respective ports/towns in Piraeus and in the islands.

As for the 'Superjet' which I suspect would be Piraeus > Santorini then it's small, totally enclosed and very bad in rough weather, and a bit unreliable. The Bluestar ferry is much larger, reliable, cheaper - speed is not always a good choice.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
174 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ferry Tickets to Greek Islands

Tks retiredhippy for your advice. will, as far as possible, stick to using blue star.

btw, love your nickname.

cheers, michael

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6,121 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ferry Tickets to Greek Islands

Michael -- a word for the future ... you always get the best advice, fastest, when you give the necessary information (Dates of Travel) in your first posting; it is also Thoughtful.

Have a good trip and, we hope, calm seas. --- TJ

florida
Level Contributor
812 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ferry Tickets to Greek Islands

We are looking at doing the same. We will be traveling last two weeks of June, 2011.

Thanks,

Casa

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
174 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ferry Tickets to Greek Islands

Dear Traverlerjan

Thanks again for your kind reminder. Definitely will, henceforth, make it a point to state my travel dates in my first posting.

And yes, we really pray for calm weather. Nothing worse than a rough ride.

Cheers, Michael

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Ferry Tickets to Greek Islands

Casa, you too will be fine to buy tickets once in Greece. I am assuming that you will be in Greece at least 24 hours before you need to depart to your island destination, and that you won't be travelling on or around a bank holiday or special weekend.