We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggested island hopping October

Which Piraeus hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, UK
Level Contributor
17 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Suggested island hopping October

Hi,

I am visiting in late October 11,myself and my 10 year old daughter.I have four nights available for island hopping from Athens, beginning on a Tuesday. My flight back to UK is on Saturday at 1915 from Athens.

I was wondering if anyone could suggest a nice couple of islands I could get around in this time in October. I am guessing Santorini should be one but if I start there where would be a next good island to visit before returning. I am slightly confused as to ferry routes between islands, especially in low season.

Anyhow, any help more than gratefully received.

Kind regards in advance. Neil

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggested island hopping October

In October, you're better off sticking to one island only, even that will be a stretch if the weather doesn't comply. Easiest way to do it would be to fly there and back, or take the Blue Star ferry (which takes longer but it will give you the cruise/island hopping experience) out on Tuesday morning and back on Friday - always a good idea to be in Athens the day before your flight back in case of unforeseen delays at sea.

bridgnorth
Level Contributor
3,404 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggested island hopping October

Agree with everything Tinsey writes, but you might consider Nafplio two hours bus ride south of Athens . Very pretty and interesting, a small town beach, good for swimming, and two large sandy beaches not too far away. Sea should be warmer than the Cyclades.

Take a look on google.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggested island hopping October

Yes, Nafplio would be an excellent alternative at that time of year. Not an island, but it feels like one. Less windswept than Santorini too.

bridgnorth
Level Contributor
3,404 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggested island hopping October

Just remembered a rather good independent site; www.visitnafplio.com.

Lindesnes...
Destination Expert
for Southern Norway, Cyclades
Level Contributor
4,411 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggested island hopping October

With only 4 nights I would base myself rather close to Pireus. Why not visit Agistri, only an hour with the hydrofoil from Pireus. Make a call to Bryan at AgistriClub and he wil pick you up in the harbour of Mylos. He and Henrietta are outstanding hosts. The next day, or the day after, he will arrange a trip to Aegina for you, where you can have a nice lunch or take the bus to the different sights. In an earlier contribution Tinsay (I think) have described a day at Aegina, covering all the major sights.The ferries are so reliable that you dont need an overnight stay in Athens before the evening return.

Washingon DC area
Level Contributor
1,728 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggested island hopping October

Another good base would be Poros. You can make a day trip to Aegina and Hydra, or even rent a car in Galatas to visit Mycenae and Epidaurus. this way, you don't have to waste any time checking in and out of a hotel.

Also, on a visit last September, I was told that starting in October, there's a tavern on the beach that holds "Greek night for Greeks",

London, UK
Level Contributor
17 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggested island hopping October

Thank you all for your suggestions which I will research. What is certain is that we will enjoy Greece.

London, UK
Level Contributor
17 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggested island hopping October

Great suggestions thank you. I have decided to take the advice about Agistri and base myself there, looks lovely.

9. Re: Suggested island hopping October

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2012, 15:18