We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip from Piraeus port to Delphi, Greece

Flat Rock, North...
Level Contributor
2 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip from Piraeus port to Delphi, Greece

Is it possible to find a tour bus (motorcoach) to take a day tour to Delphi from Piraeus port within the time frame of 8am to 5pm? (LESS THAN THE USUAL 10 HOUR TRIPS)And are they very expensive? Thanks!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip from Piraeus port to Delphi, Greece

Hey and welcome k9poppy:-) I believe the coach tours don't return to Athens till after 7p..regardless, they're traffic dependent so times can vary a bit.. have you taken a look at www.chatours.gr/ www.keytours.gr/ www.gotours.com.gr/ These are the top 3 tour operators..nonetheless, considering your specific request, which sounds like you need to be back for cruise departure, IMO, think it's pushing it even if you had a private driver! You'd be spending a good 5-6 hours driving time alone..I'd wait for what hopefully will be a 'next time' when you'll have the time to take the site in and EnjoY!

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
22,926 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip from Piraeus port to Delphi, Greece

Such trips normally go from Athens and as Litsa points out you'd be pushing it within the times you have cited.

Flat Rock, North...
Level Contributor
2 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip from Piraeus port to Delphi, Greece

Thanks so much for the replies, that's kind of what I figured, too many hours spent driving- I understand Crete is only an hour away, has anyone heard any good comments on visiting Crete as a day trip? Many thanks!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip from Piraeus port to Delphi, Greece

Our pleasure..but you do realize that Crete is an isle? The flight may take approx an hour..but involves all the formalities a flight requires..no less just getting to the airport ..and back..from Piraeus can easily take an hour each way! Not doable IMO..keep enjoyin!

Washingon DC area
Level Contributor
1,852 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip from Piraeus port to Delphi, Greece

If you're looking for a daytrip from Piraeus, you ought to consider Aegina. You could rent a scooter and go to the Temple of Aphia, which IMO is one of the better preserved Greek temples in the Islands. The town would be a nice place to spend a few hours, as well.

Delphi,Greece
Destination Expert
for Delphi
Level Contributor
6,164 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip from Piraeus port to Delphi, Greece

Mainly I suggest to look at a map and invest on a good guide book too. Just because you dock in Piraeus,Piraeus is in Greece, you've heard good comments for X place and X place is in Greece, this doesn't mean you can reach X place from Piraeus.

If you say a bit on what you are after, you may get some realistic reccomendations... What are your interests exactly? Ancient sites, museums, shopping, scenery........?

7. Re: Day trip from Piraeus port to Delphi, Greece

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 November 2012, 10:31