We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

piraeus to poros may 7th

chicago
Level Contributor
69 posts
88 reviews
Save Topic
piraeus to poros may 7th

arrive athens airport at 3pm...planning on taking x96 bus to piraeus to catch the 6.30pm ferry to poros. first should we buy tickets in advance? i'd prefer not if we have time. ...also where to buy the tickets at the port...can someone give really clear detail on where there are ticket booths near the bus and metro stop or do we need to walk over to gate E1 to the ferry offices which seem a long way from our departure dock of E8...i know people have asked this before but an actual description (or even a forum post with some photos) of where the ticket counters are would be great... and will we make it in 3 hrs to piraeus assuming no air travel delays...many thanks

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
572 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: piraeus to poros may 7th

the bus from the airport to the port takes about 65 minutes, depending on traffic of course.

there is a flying dolphin to poros, the last one leaves at 5pm, so it will be tight for you. the flying dolphin departure gate is just across the road if you get off the buss just before the last stop. the bus then turns a corner and goes into a square / terminal. flying dolphin would be ideal as it only takes 60 minutes. however ferry times are probably better for you. you will easily find the ticket booth at the port. just ask the 1st one and they will direct you to the poros booth.

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
21,895 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: piraeus to poros may 7th

You can buy a ticket when you arrive, it is not necessary to book a ferry for Poros in advance.

Lindesnes...
Destination Expert
for Southern Norway, Cyclades
Level Contributor
4,681 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: piraeus to poros may 7th

When you are on the bus to Pireus, you will eventually see the port and all the ferries at your left hand side. Leave the bus at the second stop after you first see the port. This will be across the street from gate 7-8. (The bus continues around the port and have its final stop at gate1). Cross the steet and enter through the gate, turn left and you will find a row of ticket booths. I guess the Hellenic Seaways are the one you are looking for. The car-ferries leaves port just inside gate 8. They all have a sign on the stern showing where they are bound. You find the Flying Dolphins closer to gate 9, but use the same ticket booth.

Have a look at the map www.gtp.gr/LocPage.asp?id=166&SearchType= The bus stop is across the street from the blue dot numbered 4. You find the ferries between the E8 and E9.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
22,036 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: piraeus to poros may 7th

Here you can get an idea:

http://tinyurl.com/d5je2l

http://tinyurl.com/3cyzsl9

chicago
Level Contributor
69 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: piraeus to poros may 7th

thanks all so i can buy tickets near the dock for the ferries to poros...can i get them from any agent there, someone said ask for the poros desk...excellent advice from all, good old trip advisor

Edited: 28 January 2012, 14:35
Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
21,895 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: piraeus to poros may 7th

Once you arrive at where the ferry departs from you will see a kiosk where can buy a ticket(s).

chicago
Level Contributor
69 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: piraeus to poros may 7th

oops didn't read all the answers thoroughly, looks like you've all answered my questions...where to get tickets too...so thanks all. the photo guide was very useful

chicago
Level Contributor
69 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: piraeus to poros may 7th

one more question kind advisors...does the poros ferry have restaurant and bar facilities...do you know?

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
21,895 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: piraeus to poros may 7th

Most probably basic facilities, don't expect too much of a restaurant. If at all possible I would advise buying a snack and drinks before boarding the vessel.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
572 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: piraeus to poros may 7th

there is a snack bar right next to the ticket office that sells cheese pies coffee and snacks