We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tholos Sactuary of Athena breakfast

Which Delphi hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Tholos Sactuary of Athena breakfast

Read Lyntraveller from Perth's message. I was there 14 years ago and set off to the Tholos with a bowl of cereal at 5am one April day. It was magic to be there alone sitting by the Tholos circle. Hope to do th esame in October this year. Can anyone advise is it still possible to get that close or have they sealed it off completely and made it a paying thing so that you have to wait till an opening time etc etc? I really want to have a 5am breakfast there again!

Byron from Sydney

Athens
Level Contributor
1,621 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tholos Sactuary of Athena breakfast

I would have thought that the Tholos being one of the most well known ancient sites of Greece even though further away from the other ruins of Delphi would be fenced or guarded somehow. Do you really have to eat breakfast there? Isn’t visiting enough?

Ottawa
Level Contributor
958 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tholos Sactuary of Athena breakfast

I was just there in May, and frankly, I can't remember whether access to the Tholos Temple was fenced off. My husband thinks not. I was stunned at how few visitors to Delphi bothered with the Tholos Temple. My husband and I were alone there for a good 15 minutes in the middle of the morning when the main site was packed.

Susan

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
20,684 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tholos Sactuary of Athena breakfast

I think the reason is that the organised tours doesn't allow the time to go 500 meters downhill to see it. Their schedules only allow guiding the main site and the museum and then go for some lunch before being off for the Arachova carpet show.

The last time I was there the Tholos was not fenced off.

Athens
Level Contributor
1,621 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tholos Sactuary of Athena breakfast

Isn’t it ironic though, that the first thing that comes to mind when you think of Delphi is the Tholos?

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tholos Sactuary of Athena breakfast

This is the exact reason why I insist on NOT taking the tours and DIY!

Because tours allow 2 hours for carpet shopping but, noooo, you don't have time to see Tholos!

I know, I know, I'm nagging again but I can't help it!

6. Re: Tholos Sactuary of Athena breakfast

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2009, 04:16