We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Delphi & Meteora, how to get there?

Which Delphi hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bedfordshire
Level Contributor
90 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Delphi & Meteora, how to get there?

Hello

I'm thinking of visting both places maybe May or September next year, is that a good time regarding weather?

I know they are quite difficult to get to, is it best to travel from Athens? We will be flying in from England. Are their organised trips that do both places?

Or could we get to both by bus? Is it possible to stop overnight at both places, so we have a bit more time to look around?

If we decided to go by car, how far is it to each place? What are the roads like are they very steep? How long would it take if we went from Athens?

After we have been to Delphi and Meteora we would like to go to the coast/beach somewhere, just to relax for about a week, can someone recommend a picturesque place to stay? Of course we would need to stay somewhere, where we could get back to an airport to fly home.

Any ideas? I know I have lots of questions, as I don't really know the area, I would appreciate some help with all the options available.

I've wanted to visit these places for years, but know it will take a bit of planning, not as easy as going to a Greek island for a week or 2.

Hope you can help.

Elleda

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
237 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Delphi & Meteora, how to get there?

Can't help with the weather as I've only been there in November (which was chilly but sunny, 1 day of rain)

I would definitely suggest traveling from Athens, it has the main bus terminals for the long distance bus lines.

There are lots of tours that do both places but I would recommend doing it yourself. A two day tour of Delphi and meteora will often run €250 plus and you'll only get to see one or perhaps two monasteries.

I did both areas by myself on the busses, €45 for both bus trips, €35 for accomodation at Delphi, €12 for Delphi entrance, €25 for accomadation at Kastraki village (at the base of the rock formations).

The KTEL long distance bus system was really easy to use - I had no problems first time overseas alone with no Greek- , the signs are big and the operatos will tell you where to go.

athensguide.com/practicalinfo/busschedulesB.…

I stayed an overnight at both sites, partially because doing a whole day of travel (its around four hours to Meteroa. And three hours to delphi) and doing a sight doesn't seem relaxing to me, and not all monestaries are open on the same day.

I wouldn't be keen to drive to Delphi because of the mountain roads, and the actual mountain roads to the monasteries are pretty intense but wide.

Sorry I can't help with the beach stuff, I was there in the cold!

Getting to Delphi and Meteora isn't hard, I had to figure it out on the fly because my tour got cancelled 24 hours before I was set to leave on it! And its definitely worth it, Delphi blew my mind and I'm even going back!

You'll have so much fun! :-)

Edited: 22 September 2013, 14:38
Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Delphi & Meteora, how to get there?

Hello,

May and September would be ideal time of the year, the weather very pleasant.

I am sure if you do some homework will find tours to Delphi, also islands to your preference, depending of your budget. Delphi is full hotels.

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/greece/delphi

There are buses, yes, perhaps someone else can give you bus schedule site. Of course going up in Meteora the road is very steep, not for someone suffering from highplace fear. It is recommended to start early for your trip to Meteroa, stay overnight, and venture to the monasteries early morning, pls check for opening times.

allgreecetravel.com/tours-cruises/delphi-met…

Personally I would take a guided tour, at least to Meteora, so you dont have to organise to rent a car, road maps, driving there and back, takes abt 6 hours by bus from Athens. It would be worth the money. You can check different tour companies.

Windsor, United...
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
20,685 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Delphi & Meteora, how to get there?

Hi,

Public bus schedule for Athens to Delphi:

www.ktel-fokidas.gr/…

And, Kalambaka to Meteora:

ktel-trikala.gr/…

Is your preference for a picturesque place to stay an island or the mainland ?

Edited: 22 September 2013, 17:57
Delphi,Greece
Destination Expert
for Delphi
Level Contributor
6,027 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Delphi & Meteora, how to get there?

To be honest, options to cover this route (Athens-Delphi-Meteora-Athens or v.v.) have been mentioned again and again on this forum. if you read threads on first page of Delphi forum and maybe Meteora forum, most of your questions will be answered...

As far as concerns the picturesque sea side place, Galaxidi comes to mind, but what is relaxing to you? How you envision spending this part of the holiday? Any specific facilities, beach type, activities etc required?

Edited: 22 September 2013, 21:59
Bedfordshire
Level Contributor
90 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Delphi & Meteora, how to get there?

Thank you for all your replies, I hadn't heard of Galaxidi, but have had a look online and it looks quite nice,

I like quite traditional Greek places, where there are old streets to wander around, I do like a nice long beach if possible, generally for me relaxing is wandering around, swimming, having good tavernas, cafes to visit, boat trips if there are any where we are staying. As Delphi and Meteora are quite remote places to get to, and take some time to get to, I may not want to do much else during the holiday. Galaxidi is still quite a way from Athens, and getting back to the airport.

Could that be done by bus and is it possible to get to Delphi & Meteora from Galaxidi ? I'm thinking whether it would be a place to base ourselves, for our holiday?

When we get to Athens airport, where do we get the bus to Galaxidi , or to Delphi & Meteora? Would we have to get a taxi to a bus station?

Or would you recommend staying somewhere else by the sea that has good access to Deplhi & Meteora?

I don't mind if its a place to stay on the mainland or an Island as long as it doesn't take too long to travel too, or is too complicated, considering we will probably only have a week or at most 2 weeks for our holiday.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Elleda

Windsor, United...
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
20,685 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Delphi & Meteora, how to get there?

Hi Ellada,

You should find this link useful:

http://www.galaxidigreece.com/directions.html

Galaxidi is a lovely place, you could also consider Arachova which is near Delphi but inland.

norfolk
Level Contributor
73 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Delphi & Meteora, how to get there?

hi, does anyone know of a ferry accross to itea, or neaby from peloponese?

thanks

Salem, MO
Level Contributor
143 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Delphi & Meteora, how to get there?

My wife and I vacationed in Greece in mid-May 2013. We went to Delphi, Meteora and Agio Ioannis, via Volos and then back to Athens. You can check out the Blog of our trip to Greece at this link www.blogger.com/profile/11553764064083981360 . One thing I would advise is, if you hire a car, make sure your hotel has parking. Parking can be an issue. I hope you find this informative and enjoyable.

Delphi,Greece
Destination Expert
for Delphi
Level Contributor
6,027 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Delphi & Meteora, how to get there?

The coast line along North coast of Corynth gulf is dotted with small villages, mostly pebbly coves, low vegitation and occasionaly olive trees. There is not so much your typical long sandy beach resort. Visiting this area requires a bit more effort on your part while on a mass tourist spot everything might be on hand. For example on more popular mainland or island resorts there is decent public transport aimed to visitors. There are many beach facilities. There is a "traditional" ambiance, picturesque but often "artificially traditional" life if you get what I mean.

This is not so much the case with Galaxidi. There are 2-3 decent pebbly/siggle beaches outside town and a couple of small mostly pebbly streches and swimming spots by town's waterfront. Mostly the "prepare a snack, take bottle water and lay your towel on the beach" type of holiday...

It is a place popular with people having local bonds, Greek weekend-eers, foreign visitors having their own transport vacationing in the area for a few days, and only very rarely your tour group overnighting on the way from/to Delphi. No package or mass tourism really. Mostly independent travelers around. There are enough sea side cafes by the waterfront. fish and other taverns, a couple of bars to keep anyone happy for a few days, a couple of small local grossery shops,a couple of quality tourist shops, I believe a few taxis, but that's it. Public Ktel bus is aimed to locals. Galaxidi is served by ongoing bus from/to Patras to/from Amfissa/Itea. With some planning around bus is fine to take some side trips to Itea, Amfissa, Delphi, Arahova, even Nafpaktos, but some effort needs to be made.

If you are fine getting to a really very local rythme of life for a week, you'll be fine. If you are used to the more developed tourism infrastructure, maybe you'll be ready to move on after a few days.

If you are fine with a more active holiday and you are willing to hire a car for your whole holiday and explore, I think Galaxidi might be a good base.You can visit interesting places then, even visit Trizonia islet, often called the local Hydra or explore some mountain villages for a different aspect of Greece.....

I am not so familiar with coast line off Meteora area. Maybe sea side resorts of Pelion are closer to what you look for and it is possible to get bus Meteora to Trikala to Volos, then maybe local bus to a beach resort.. Other people might advice on that one.

If everything else fails, you can always go to Skiathos island through Volos I guess.......

Whatever you decide to do, Have a Great Trip!

Delphi,Greece
Destination Expert
for Delphi
Level Contributor
6,027 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Delphi & Meteora, how to get there?

Re: Ferry Iteal to Peloponnese, there is not one. There used to be one small ferry from Agios Nikolaos further away to Aigio, but as far as I know it does not operate anymore.