We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving to visit meteora and delphi, pls advise, thanks!

taiwan
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Topic
Driving to visit meteora and delphi, pls advise, thanks!

Hello, 1st time visiting greece (athens) on sept. and plan to drive to meteora and delphi for 2 days...our trip is on 9/29-30, original plan is to 1st visit delphi then meteora, however, the great meteora monastery is closed on tues, so I'm changing my plan instead to 1st visit meteora then delphi on the next day before going back to athens. bec. I'm afraid if I visit delphi and drive for 4 hrs to meteora, the great meteora monastery will be closed and its also closed the next day. Questions: Am not sure about the cars in greece, steering wheel is on the left or right ? Is GPS reliable and accurate in finding these monasteries ? is toll fees easy to use in motorways, english or only in greek ? how to use toll fees? If I leave 8:30am hotel in athens, plus 4hr drive, is it doable for great meteora and another monastery ? 2nd day plan to visit Agia triada, and another monastery but not yet sure which is the best choice for the 3rd, any advise? where is the best view to take pics in meteora and delphi, any particular place ? how long should i alot for delphi visit ? coz still need to return the car in athens airport by 21;00pm. would also like to visit leonidas at thermophylae, is it doable ? thanks

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
4,879 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving to visit meteora and delphi, pls advise, thanks!

hi, and welcome..

first of all there is nothing worth to mention in the thermopyles,apart from the siginificance of the place,so forget it..you are doing the mistake of cramming too many places in a short timeframe,so you will probably be tired at the end of all this...i suggest you choose one of the two and really enjoy the experience..

also,i am not sure you will reach meteora in exactly 4 hous,more like 5,depending where in athens you will start from (you don't know the roads,you may want to pace yourself).

the steering in greece is at the left..there are people at the tolls collecting them,so no need to worry..the vast majority of greeks speak english,so if you have any question about where to go etc don't hesitate to ask the people at the booths.

,the tolls in greek roads are many and expensive..you will see labels with how much the tolls are while you are approaching them..it doesn't matter anyway,the people at the booths will tell you the amount needed..

for all your meteora questions start a new thread in meteora forum -the little town at the bottom of meteora rocks-

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g315843-i14176-K…

you can search through the forum as well for some answers ..type some key words ,like ''which monasteries '' at the research bar at the top of the forum page..previous answers will come up..there are two options for your search,relevance,and date.

gps will get you to meteora,i wouldn't know if it mentions the monasteries as well..these two places are stunning,so everywhere is perfect for pictures..for the rest of the questions like i said search delphi and meteora forums a bit.

hope you have a nice trip

Delphi,Greece
Destination Expert
for Delphi
Level Contributor
6,107 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving to visit meteora and delphi, pls advise, thanks!

In Delphi you will have great views more or less everywhere. If you need some peacefull places, away of the crowds, time allowed, you may want to walk or drive on the Agelos & Eva Sikelianos museum. It situated at the north-east of modern Delphi, in close proximity to the archeological site and close to where the hike on E4 path starts. I hear that unfortunately many of the exibits have been taken to Lefkas and due to financial problems, the museum is open only upon request made to the local municipality. But the location will be quiet and views are great. It is not a coincidence that a brunch of School of Fine Arts stands exactly bellow said museum! Uppen streets of Delphi town will give you a different feeling of the place too, away of the maze of hotels and tourist shops.

An other point to take in the scenery away of the crowds is the "Pavillion" area. Driving or even walking outside Delphi towards Itea/Amfissa direction, you will find on your left a small road starting where a basketball/volleyball/tennis court stands. Coming from Meteora approaching Delphi you will find said road and courts on your right. There is a second left 50 metres after peaking this road, but do not take it. Follow the road till the end on a few hundrends metres,park your car and walk till edge of the cliff (caution, no barriers or protection) . More or less you'll find your self standing nearly above Chrisso village, having uninterrupted views all the way to the gulf and further away (In a clear day you can see the mountains of Pelopponese, approximately around Akrata area from Delphi.)

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Chania Town, Naxos
Level Contributor
4,937 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving to visit meteora and delphi, pls advise, thanks!

In Delphi you will be right in the archaeological site and because it is up the side of the mountain you will have wonderful angles for photographs.

At meteora there is a road winding between the monasteries so you will have lots of great angles for images of each of them.

On the GPS make sure you have a map that you can use to input the proper spelling of your destination and so you can see interim towns on the way. We didn't realize that there are several Meteoras in Greece and discovered Thessaloniki has a suburb called Meteora. If we had a map we would have realized that the nearest towns were Trilaka and Kalambaka so we would have entered them into the GPS.

Here are images of Delphi and Meteora. The beginning of the album is Olympia.

Olympia Delfi Meteora

https:/…

Have fun these are both great sites.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving to visit meteora and delphi, pls advise, thanks!

.. just to clarify.. driving in Greece is on the right.. not the left;-) Enjoy all!

taiwan
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving to visit meteora and delphi, pls advise, thanks!

Hi everyone, Thanks for all your advises and info:

To Athanasios m: thanks for clearing my worries over the steering side and toll booths. Is there any speed limit signs along the freeway ? will cancel trip to Thermopyles as you advised.

To mariha 2912: will go to "Pavillion" as you directed if there's enough time, I cant wait to see the uninterrupted views that you mentioned.

To stanbr: thanks for GPS tips. I will probably input directly the coordinates for each of the monastery.

To Litsa: i have a question, for example, driving to meteora and the road is winding, do you mean that I would be driving on the side of the cliff instead to the side of the mountain or rock and Vise versa ?

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Chania Town, Naxos
Level Contributor
4,937 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving to visit meteora and delphi, pls advise, thanks!

To be clear on the driving issue. The cars have the steering wheel on the left hand side. That means you are driving on the right side of the road.

The roads a good all the way to Meteora. On the big toll road going north I believe the speed limit was 120 km per hour. Anyway thats as fast as our little rental car would go. Locals take the speed limit as a suggestion and passed me like I was standing still. Just stay over in the right lane and check your rear view mirror once a minute so you know whats happening behind you.

Once you get close to Meteora the road goes up the mountain but its a short drive up and is safe but narrow. Speeds are slow.

Delphi is different it is quite steep with some switchbacks as I recall. So going up from the Gulf of Corinth side we were driving on the right so the ocean view was on our right. However on the switch backs we ended up with the mountain to our right. Thats the nature of mountain driving. The passenger gets a great view. The driver is pretty much just concentrating on the road.

Coming back down

7. Re: Driving to visit meteora and delphi, pls advise, thanks!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 August 2015, 05:15