We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chania, Rethymno, Stalis or Elounda???

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Chania, Rethymno, Stalis or Elounda???

Hi everyone

I will be in Crete for 4 days in June and I am having trouble picking between Chania, Rethymno, Stalis or Elounda. We haven't booked flights so either airport is fine (we will be arriving from Dubrovnik)

My bf & I are 26 + 27 and we're looking for a mixture of a beach holiday, plenty of bars and restaurants nearby, and sites to see. We're not looking for a big party scene like Malia, just enough to keep us entertained in the evenings. Greece is at the end of our trip before we head back to Australia so we're happy to take it easy and not be on the go the entire 4 days.

Looking to spend about $1500ish AUD for the 4 nights.

Thanks in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Crete
Crete
Greece
Chania Town
Chania Town
Crete, Greece
Rethymno Palace
Rethymno Palace
920 Reviews
Crete, Greece
Stalis
Stalis
Crete, Greece
Elounda
Elounda
Crete, Greece
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik-Neretva County, Croatia
Malia
Malia
Crete, Greece
Greece
Greece
Europe
Taverna Bar Vasilis
££ - £££, Seafood, Mediterranean, Greek
Taverna Stelios
££ - £££, Seafood, Grill, Mediterranean
Taverna Harakas
££ - £££, Greek
14 replies to this topic
The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands, Crete
Level Contributor
25,700 posts
374 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chania, Rethymno, Stalis or Elounda???

Going from what you have said if you are looking for a larger town to stay in then Rethymnon would get my vote over Chania (purely based on what you are looking for but Chania is a lovely town as well). Out of Elounda and Stalis again just based on what you are looking for then Stalis would get my vote.

Mentioned in this post
Rethymnon
Rethymnon
Crete, Greece
Chania Town
Chania Town
Crete, Greece
Elounda
Elounda
Crete, Greece
Stalis
Stalis
Crete, Greece
Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
12,008 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chania, Rethymno, Stalis or Elounda???

Hello Alisha and Welcome to the Crete forum

From your post I think that Rethymnon would suit your requirements, it a Greek town, with a stunning old town, beautiful harbour, great shopping and a long sandy beach too, and as a University town it has a great vibe, but still feels very Greek. Location wise you could fly to either airport with Heraklion being a 1.15 transfer and Chania airport just over an hours transfer. Rethymnon also has great bus links if you wanted to get out and about too :-)

Stalis also has a beautiful long sandy beach and plenty of accommodation choices, and night life, but as a purpose built resort it doesn't have the Greek feel that Rethymnon does, and of course not the Historical buildings either, but still a very popular holiday destination for couples and families.

For some information of places that you could visit in the town of Rethymnon itself have a look at this link written by our DE gerlion who lives in the town :-)

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g18942…

Another great research tool is You Tube, so I would suggest doing some searches to get a feel for any recommendations :-)

Mentioned in this post
Crete
Crete
Greece
Rethymnon
Rethymnon
Crete, Greece
Heraklion
Heraklion
Crete, Greece
Chania Town
Chania Town
Crete, Greece
Stalis
Stalis
Crete, Greece
London, United...
Level Contributor
19,835 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chania, Rethymno, Stalis or Elounda???

Since "sites to see" is on your wish list, the choice narrows down to Rethymnon and Chania; and since "beach holiday" is first on the list, Rethymnon is a better option than Chania. Chania has good beaches nearby, but Rethymnon has a huge sandy beach that stretches from the town itself miles and miles to the east.

Mentioned in this post
Rethymnon
Rethymnon
Crete, Greece
Chania Town
Chania Town
Crete, Greece
The Stunning...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,700 posts
374 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chania, Rethymno, Stalis or Elounda???

Personally I think there are loads of sites you can easily visit if you did decide on Stalis to stay in. I am sure forum regulars and not so regulars will give you lots of ideas if you do choose Stalis.

Edited: 25 January 2017, 12:21
Mentioned in this post
Stalis
Stalis
Crete, Greece
London, United...
Level Contributor
19,835 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chania, Rethymno, Stalis or Elounda???

Yes, there are sites and sights to see within range of Stalis. I meant things that can be seen within the chosen town, since Alisha says that they don't want to "be on the go the whole time". That is true of Rethymnon and Chania, which both have museums, attractive old towns, and plenty of history, but it's not true of Stalis,

Mentioned in this post
Stalis
Stalis
Crete, Greece
Rethymnon
Rethymnon
Crete, Greece
Chania Town
Chania Town
Crete, Greece
The Stunning...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,700 posts
374 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chania, Rethymno, Stalis or Elounda???

Personally I think there are sites within easy access of Stalis that wouldn't require being "on the go all the time" so if it was me I would base my decision on the type of base I wanted i.e. a larger town (but lovely town) or a smaller but more resort type base. That's why in my initial post my suggestion was Rethymnon over Chania (based on what the OP is looking for) and Stalis over Elounda (again purely based on what the OP is looking for).............and bump to get past the car rental posts ;-)

Mentioned in this post
Stalis
Stalis
Crete, Greece
Rethymnon
Rethymnon
Crete, Greece
Chania Town
Chania Town
Crete, Greece
Elounda
Elounda
Crete, Greece
Sissi, Greece
Level Contributor
1,185 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chania, Rethymno, Stalis or Elounda???

Hi

I suggest you to flight to Heraklion airport and you spend your holidays between Stalis and Elounda.

Mentioned in this post
Heraklion
Heraklion
Crete, Greece
Stalis
Stalis
Crete, Greece
Elounda
Elounda
Crete, Greece
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chania, Rethymno, Stalis or Elounda???

Thanks so much everyone for your advice! We are spoiled in Australia with beautiful sandy beaches, so I definitely will look into Rethymnon a little more

Mentioned in this post
Rethymnon
Rethymnon
Crete, Greece
Rethymnon, Greece
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
2,688 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Chania, Rethymno, Stalis or Elounda???

Hi

If you choose Rethymnon you can ask me, as I live in town and I might be able to help you :o)

Whitley, United...
Level Contributor
2,297 posts
282 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Chania, Rethymno, Stalis or Elounda???

Hi, we love Crete but don't expect beaches like back in Aus.

If you want a town/city feel I would choose Rethymnon which you can get to via either airport, if you fly into Heraklion and want a resort then Stalis, I would also throw Hersonissos into the mix, bigger than Stalis, better nightlife aimed at your age group, cosmopolitan feel with couples from all over the world.

Mentioned in this post
Crete
Crete
Greece
Rethymnon
Rethymnon
Crete, Greece
Heraklion
Heraklion
Crete, Greece
Stalis
Stalis
Crete, Greece
Hersonissos
Hersonissos
Crete, Greece
Reply to: Chania, Rethymno, Stalis or Elounda???
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted